Talk

Advanced search

Relocating to South Devon, please help

(17 Posts)
user1497286055 Wed 14-Jun-17 22:48:32

Hello,
I am new to mumsnet. I do apologise for my user name which I still did not figure out how to change it.

My husband has a job opportunity in Paignton. I have read quite a bit of negative comments about Paignton and not sure if it is right place for us.
We have 2 daughters aged 6 and 9 and we live in Reading. I do not drive and before I got married lived in London. Originally I am from Prague, my husband is English. I loved living in London and Prague and took me a long time to get used to Reading as I founded quite small. I always liked the idea living by the sea so I am excited but at the same time very nervous about lots of things mainly about my children settling in their new school and I know by me not driving might be a big issue.

I quite like the look of Totnes as I have read it is a bit quirky, but I think it might be a bit expensive for us and it does not have the sea.

My contender so far I think is Teignmouth from what I read, but I am a bit worried that it might be too far for my husband to commute ever day to Paignton.

Please can anybody tell me how long would it take approximately from Teignmouth to Paignton nearby South Devon College??

I have read that the traffic in Torbay is very bad in the summer. Is it really bad and would it help that my husband would drive only to South Devon College and not near the seafront where the worse traffic is I assume. Or am I wrong? On google it says that Paignton is 27 minutes away but how it is in reality? Driving during the week in the rush hour? Is it worse during the week or weekends?

I would appreciate any advice, comment or suggestion about other towns nearby that are safe for children.

Thank you very much for any help

ineedaholidaynow Wed 14-Jun-17 22:59:38

I'm afraid I don't know that area well but I think there is a train service between Paignton and Teignmoutj so don't know if that would be any use.

Some friends used to live in Teignmouth and they really liked it.

MotherTroubles Wed 14-Jun-17 23:04:58

The train would be no good as South Devon College is outside of Paignton. Is your DH going to be working term time only? If so, traffic is normally ok. During school holidays it's a nightmare. There's only two routes through Torbay really and they are both a bloody nightmare at rush hour. It would probably take an hour to hour and a half at rush hour during school holidays and at anytime of day during summer holidays. I'm in Brixham and work near SDC and it regularly takes over an hour in school holidays (about 6 miles).

It's lovely down here though! Paignton is a bit grotty, Totnes is lovely and full of hippies.

fluffandsnuff Wed 14-Jun-17 23:17:17

Traffic has got better into Torbay since the bypass was built. Teignmouth is nicer than Paignton but the roads around teignmouth can be pretty horrible. Totnes is brilliant but very expensive- loads of independent shops and links to dartington so very big on arts/music. It's also worth noting Torquay is made up of very distinct areas so it's worth looking into.

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 14-Jun-17 23:53:39

For south devon college I would live in totnes I think. Teignmouth is quite far. There is a nice village in Paignton called Marldon where I grew up. Christin and broad sands are also nice areas. Brixham is a nice little fishing town. If you liked the look of teignmouth, I would go for brixham.

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 14-Jun-17 23:54:14

Churston

randomuntrainedcuntowner Wed 14-Jun-17 23:57:17

I live in Newton abbot and really like it, but it is still a decent commute to that end of Paignton, albeit slightly nearer than teignmouth, but not right on the sea.

Ojoj1974 Wed 14-Jun-17 23:58:27

My parents live in Chursron Ferrers a bit further around the bay from Paignton. It is divine. Chursron also has a good co Ed grammar school which is worth considering. I love totnes too but Paignton, Preston, galmpton, Churston Ferrers and even Brixham are worth looking at.

Good luck x

user1497286055 Thu 15-Jun-17 09:48:52

Thank you all so much for such a helpful comments. Really appreciate it.
It sounds like Teignmouth might be to far for us. Have a look at the areas that you all suggested. Some of the places I have`t heard of.

There is definitely lots of nice place to choose from.
I have read that parts of Paigton and Torquay are quite rough and run down which to be honest put me off a little bit.
It is really that bad?

I am into yoga and healthy lifestyle like plant based diet and would like to teach yoga one day so thinking in which place people would be into these things?? I know Totnes most likely but apart from that??

Chipsandonionrings Thu 15-Jun-17 10:03:27

I don't like teignmouth or paignton. they are both imo a bit run down. south Devon is very pricey, there are areas of deprivation but drive a few miles out and it's very affluent. it will depend on your budget to a great extent.

totnes fits your bill in respect to your career. the traffic can be awful and in Devon most people have quite a commute to work and even to a large supermarket - depending on exactly where you live.

I think you will struggle with the small town feel of south Devon but it's a lovely place and because its touristy there is a lot going on for children esp in the summer. winters can be a bit dead but we live in coastal Devon and love it when the place comes alive with tourists and events - it's like living in 2 towns, quiet everyone knows everyone in winter and bustling in summer.

can't comment on schools as I was child free at the time I lived in the area.

Chipsandonionrings Thu 15-Jun-17 10:04:30

oh and I would suggest you learn to drive - public transport is pretty hit and miss unless you live in a bigger town.

user1497286055 Thu 15-Jun-17 16:41:02

Hmmm, it looks like it is going to be a problem me not driving. Passed driving test 25 years ago and have not driven since. Scared of driving.

Are there any school busses or local busses. Lets say I we live in Churston would there be a school bus to take kids to secondary school in Paington?
Is there a beach in Churston? Galmpton?
Are there buses from Totnes to the sea side? Paignton or Brixham?
Just if I want to take kids to the beach after school would there be any other way to get there apart from car or taxi?

I can not wait and explore the area, but I want to do some research before we go to check it out.

randomuntrainedcuntowner Thu 15-Jun-17 22:38:29

Totnes is definitely for you. I would go and visit

randomuntrainedcuntowner Thu 15-Jun-17 22:39:35

But totnes is £££. On a par with London prices

ineedaholidaynow Fri 16-Jun-17 08:35:05

If you are scared of driving you will hate some of the roads in Devon especially if you are travelling between rural villages. They are really narrow and you will quite often meet tractors/caravans.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Jun-17 08:40:12

I think you should look into taking some refresher driving lessons, I lived in Devon many moons ago before I got my licence and it was hard!

MotherTroubles Fri 16-Jun-17 12:46:17

If you live in Churston- yes there is a bus to take your kids to Secondary school if they didn't get into the Grammar. The no 12 is regular(ish) between Brixham and Newton and stops of at Churston, Paignton and Torquay. There are a couple of lovely beaches near Churston - Elberry Cove and Broadsands. Walkable depending whereabouts you live or cyclable if you don't mind near vertical hills. No bus services those beaches.

There are busses from Totnes to Paignton or ferries from Totnes to Dartmouth and on the Brixham. They're good in high season for tourists but in no way a reliable form of transport. You'd really need to drive if you lived in Totnes and regularly wanted to go places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now