Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Great Missenden

(8 Posts)
OliviaRosesMum Mon 16-Jan-17 09:02:22

Hi

My husband and I currently live in North London and work in the City. We want to move out to the countryside to have village life for our daughter (and hopefully more children). We are nervous about the commute but have fallen in love with Great Missenden.

Has anyone done this commute? Is it doable? We think we'll either drive to Amersham and sit on met line to Liverpool Street or get the train from GM to Harrow on Hill and switch to met line there.

Anyone know what the traffic is like to GM station?

Also anyone know of nurseries in GM / Amersham / locally?

Many thanks

Charlotte

attheendoftheday Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:17

I can't answer any of your questions, but I wanted to say that I grew up not far from there and it's a lovely area, so good luck on your move!

notquiteruralbliss Thu 26-Jan-17 07:39:26

We live not to far from GM and lived there for 6 months (within walking distance of GM station) and found the commute is quite easy. By Amersham the Chiltern line trains are pretty full but you should get a seat at GM. The car park is huge so you could drive to the station but parking is £££. Changing at Harrow is possible but I would probably go into Marylebone and walk to Baker Street. Gateway school in GM has a nursery and is geared for working parents with before and after school clubs. Lovely school and very child friendly.

OliviaRosesMum Thu 26-Jan-17 09:02:40

Thanks notquiteruralbliss and attheendoftheday - very useful information.

Does the GM car park get full quickly?

user1476392838 Fri 27-Jan-17 08:37:56

Don't forget to look into HS2 - both the route and the impact on the locality.

JellyWitch Fri 27-Jan-17 08:44:02

It's lovely - I grew up there - but I wouldn't back move that close to HS2. sad

JellyWitch Fri 27-Jan-17 08:45:23

Trains run non stop into Marylebone from Missenden so it's a fairly fast run into Marylebone. You'll struggle for a seat at peak times but on an early train ought to be okay.

OliviaRosesMum Fri 27-Jan-17 09:17:21

Thanks all. Re HS2 my understanding was it is underground until Wendover so below ground to GM?

How quickly does the car park at GM station fill up?

You've all been really helpful - thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now