Talk

Advanced search

Advice on Moving to Kent - Canterbury/Whitstable etc

(7 Posts)
LondonMam Fri 13-Jan-17 11:07:36

Hi! We are having our first and making the move from London. Is there any advice for moving to areas around Canterbury or Whitstable? We like the look of Wingham, Ash etc - and certain areas of Canterbury and Whistable look nice but there are houses in the Sydney Road and Wincheap areas that seem too good to be true? Hythe also looks nice as commuting is not an issue. We'd like to be in a nice quiet area with other children, but there is so much ground to cover!

Reow Thu 02-Feb-17 13:31:00

I love Canterbury, I went to University there. Wincheap is a bit rough to be honest, I lived there for 2 years and it is pretty much all student shared houses, so it's pretty loud and scruffy.

notarehearsal Wed 08-Feb-17 13:17:21

Avoid wincheap and sturry rd side of Canterbury. Best areas are towards the hospital I think that's south. And another great area is around st dunstans which is near the west station. However it's quite pricey but great schools nearby. Whitstable has more interesting property imo and slightly cheaper than Canterbury. If you're looking rurally maybe have a look at the villages around the faversham area. They're a little cheaper than the other side of Canterbury and a bit more rural

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Feb-17 13:18:50

Will you be commuting to London?

LurkingQuietly Wed 08-Feb-17 13:29:16

Yes to near the hospital and st dunstans (I've lived in both of those areas and would move back like a shot!) avoid wincheap and sturry rd and the areas on the hill up towards the uni - student central! I also lived down near the Sainsbury's (near the Penny Theatre), and loved it there. Whitstable is lovely but (IMO) overcrowded, not enough parking etc.

notarehearsal Wed 08-Feb-17 13:52:03

Lurking it sounds like we've lived in similar areas!!

LurkingQuietly Wed 08-Feb-17 21:44:50

Ha, yes @notarehearsal - I was a student who lingered around for a few years after graduating. Loved it, and would definitely live there again given half a chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now