Talk

Advanced search

What's Edenbridge like?

(11 Posts)
Hael84 Sun 31-Jan-16 08:25:30

Thinking of a move this year. Partner comes from Surrey, I'm from Kent. For various reasons we want to be "in the middle".
This brings us to Coulsdon/Caterham/Oxted type areas but seen a few properties online in Edenbridge and was just wondering what the area was like?
We have primary school aged children & we both need to commute to London.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Jan-16 08:28:59

Edenbridge itself is a bit grim tbh, there are nicer places to be. The surrounding villages are very nice. On the plus side, it had two train stations, and a Waitrose!

Hael84 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:34:20

I've heard it's not great to be honest just wanted to check from people who actually know the area! Mmm ok no wonder it's cheaper than the surrounding areas.
We are looking at merstham near red hill but again don't know the area at all! X

HelpfulChap Sun 31-Jan-16 10:47:15

I think 'grim' is a bit harsh.

It does have everything you need, leisure centre, two stations etc but it isn't particularly 'pretty'.

It was used as a bit of London overspill back in the 70s or 80s which doesn't help its reputation but there are nice parts on the south side.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:56:28

I stand by my 'grim', sorry HelpfulChap.

I see you have primary school aged dc, the school doesn't have a good reputation. Although int the outlying villages there are some good primary schools. If you go further towards Tonbridge, grammar schools would be an option. (That may be good or bad for you deoending on your viewpoint OP)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Jan-16 11:00:36

I can't help with Surrey, although my DM retired to Redhill it's not somewhere I know with regards to bringing up a family.

Going back to Edenbridge, I think it's a town which could improve and 'come up' if the High Street had some good incoming shops/restaurants. It's not actually unattractive in itself, but it has a long way to go to lose it's naffness.

HelpfulChap Sun 31-Jan-16 11:10:42

Horsham is pricey but I really like it. Too far out?

I also like that whole countryside area between Crowborough, Uckfield and Heathfield.

I think the point about Edenbridge having upward potential is a good one.

TroughThickandThin - I'm from the smoke so Edenbridge doesn't seem that grim to me but by comparison to the surrounding area you may have a point.

Hael84 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:17:12

thanks for the replies! We had a drive around yesterday- went to Reigate, red hill,caterham, Coulsdon, merstham then the Kent side towards Edenbridge and wasn't really taken by it on sight (although I know it's hard to judge). I've heard the schools aren't great there too so that's really putting me off the most.
Loved Caterham & the town & quite liked parts of merstham although the "nicer" bit seemed a bit far from the station. Redhill was ok and Reigate seemed nice.
We worked out we have a budget of around £600k which seems like a lot but we'd like a 4 bed and in places like Reigate it doesn't get you very far!
Other suggestions highly welcome as we want a good area to work with! X

HelpfulChap Mon 01-Feb-16 12:22:50

As I mentioned, look in the Crowborough, Uckfield, Heathfield triangle. Lovely area and get a LOT for £600k.
Uckfield line is the cheapest on Southern.

Theresadogonyourballs Mon 01-Feb-16 15:03:58

We moved from Coulsdon last year - it's gone horribly downhill and we couldn't wait to leave. Edenbridge is a total hole I'm afraid. Caterham is lovely - my dad and sis both lived there for years. We're in East Grinstead now, which we really like and has good schools, but with your budget you could look at some of the villages in the surrounding areas which are lovely.

Hael84 Mon 01-Feb-16 15:45:31

Helpful chap- those areas are just a bit too far out for us really as my other half has to drive to cobham & wrotham for work so being near the m25 is a must.
I'm starting to set my heart on caterham but need to do home work on schools. Any to aim for /avoid? Can't afford private schooling unfortunately x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now