Talk

Advanced search

Moving To North East Wales From Sussex

(5 Posts)
Lottiehrh Tue 28-Jul-15 21:30:34

Hello, I'm new to Mumsnet but hoping some of you with experience of moving to Wales from England can help. Hubby and I are hoping to move to a village location (Coedpoeth) about 3 miles from Wrexham. My hubby is worried about moving to Wales and being seen as 'English' and being stoned out of the village. I still vividly remember some choice graffiti about 'English go home' on a village road sign several years ago on the entrance to another village (not Coedpoeth!) so I can understand his concerns. He doesn't speak Welsh and I only know a couple of phrases but I'm keen to learn and so is he - would this help? Are there far bigger things we should be worrying about instead???
Does any one know of many children's groups (Welsh or English), other SAHDs (hubby is one), young families in the area? We have family spread around North Wales but for various reasons (nothing to do with them!) we don't want to be living on their doorsteps (remote hill farm) and would like to make our own friends. We both drive and have a car.

LavazzaLover Fri 31-Jul-15 08:49:13

North east Wales is very English. Im often in Wrexham shopping and im yet to hear Welsh being spoken. Really, there is no need to worry. Im in north West Wales which is very Welsh.

Maybe a local library or college could help out with regards to learning Welsh?

I don't think stoning villages out is done anymoregrin

victoryinthekitchen Sun 02-Aug-15 16:34:04

we have family in Wales and visit quite often, I can honestly say the Welsh seem to be some of the most warm and friendly people I have ever met. Best of luck!

pieceofpurplesky Sun 02-Aug-15 16:45:20

A high percentage of people
Who live there have moved out of Cheshire as they can't afford it and commute to Chester. Welsh should be taught in the local primary school though.

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Sun 02-Aug-15 16:45:30

Im in north Wales,and speak virtually no Welsh (learning along with ds who attends a Welsh speaking school)I know a hand full of Welsh speakers and almost never hear it spoken in shops and the like. Most schools around here run beginners classes in the first term though if you really want to learn the language. I've never experienced any anti-English attitudes, especially in the north east.I moved to a fairly small town after many years away,everyone knows everyone so I still feel a bit like an outsider-but that's my issue, you'll probably find the Welsh are very welcoming.good luck with your move. Croeso!(welcome-I think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now