Talk

Advanced search

Idyllic villages in East Sussex / Kent

(9 Posts)
Nickname1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:48:59

Hello!

Any recommendations of villages to relocate to? I currently live in London with my family and love the gorgeous food, culture and fun of being here.

But the air pollution and lack of space (we can't afford a bigger house in our beloved neighbourhood) are starting to make us think about moving.

I absolutely love Rye. But it's just an edge too touristy for me. Anything as gorgeous, with a lot of creativity, etc, going on you can recommend? I would prefer a village to a town. Kent and East Sussex ideally.

I would love to hear what you all think!

BiscuitMillionaire Sat 25-Jul-15 21:53:23

Hmm, let me think, a village, but with a lot of creativity etc going on...
No.

Nickname1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:57:20

Haha oh no, BiscuitMillionaire! I have no real experience of village life. In my mind, it's adorable!

Senigallia Sat 25-Jul-15 21:58:27

Will you still need to commute to London? That will cut down on your choices

SandStorm Sat 25-Jul-15 22:20:11

Will you need childcare? I live in a small East Sussex village and trying to find a childminder when I needed one was a nightmare.

Are you prepared to drive to a station or do you want/need one in the village?

We moved from outer London 15 years ago and have never looked back.

Nickname1980 Sat 25-Jul-15 22:23:40

Hi Sandstorm and Senigallia!

It will need to be commutable to London - my husband works in Shoreditch.

I work from home but would ideally like childcare a couple of days a week... Gosh I hadn't realised it would be hard to find!

I think driving/cycling to a station is totally fine, I wouldn't need one in the village.

Senigallia Sat 25-Jul-15 23:00:47

How long a commute is acceptable for DH? That would be my starting point probably. Have a look at the train lines (SouthEastern and Southern) and see how far down the lines you could look without the commute being too long. Especially if you may not live in the same village as the station and if there is a commute at the London end then that might limit how long a train journey you are willing to do, and would probably narrow down your search area.

Rivercam Sat 25-Jul-15 23:05:36

Whist able may suit you, although that's a small town, rather then a village.

Kent villages we love include Gouldhurst, Horsemonden, Cranbrook Sissinghurst. Tenterden and Biddenden are also worth considering.

Maidstone has three railway stations, and there a lot of villages around. Some of the villages have stations.

Nickname1980 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:51:55

Ooh thanks Rivercam! I will check those villages out!

I do know Whitstable and have often wondered about it.

Senigallia, I guess an acceptable commute would be about an hour into London. Good tip with the train lines, I will have a look!

What I love about Rye is how close it is to the beach and it's so rural. Basically want Rye, but without quite as many tourists. Probably doesn't exist?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now