Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Norfolk! Any foreigns living there??

(17 Posts)
Mfisher Mon 06-Jul-15 10:12:51

Hi everyone! I am Brazilian and my husband is from Norfolk and we are thinking about leaving London to move to the countryside, somewhere around Holt and Norwich. The plan is to sell our house in Chiswick, buy a barn around this area and live around there. My husband will stop working and I will work part time. He is 50 and I am mid 30s. We really miss living close to nature and we love Norfolk. However my biggest worry of all is that I am Brazilian and I feel that I might feel a bit like a fish out of the water and in my perception (which I could be wrong) Norfolk is very english (surprise surprise lol). So loneliness is one of my worries smile We have two daughters (4 and 2). I was wondering if someone live around this area and could tell me if there are international people living there and how welcoming people are to new people! By the way I am very happy to befriends with the english!! We have a lot of my husbands friends from his childhood that I really like but I also would love to make some friends myself, as for me friendship is one of the best things in life! Thank you very much.

HaleMary Mon 06-Jul-15 10:18:36

I'm afraid I can't help with Norfolk specifically - though my one visit there makes me want to go back, definitely - but I am a foreigner living in rural Leicestershire, and I won't lie, I don't fit in at all locally, despite being a native English speaker with a child who has grown up in this country.

Mfisher Mon 06-Jul-15 20:20:14

Thank you very much for your input HaleMary!

magichamster Tue 07-Jul-15 06:30:27

I live fairly close to Holt. I don't know any Brazillian families in the area, there are quite a lot of other nationalities about. Why not come for a visit and have a look around se of the schools in the area and ask the head about it.

ihatethecold Tue 07-Jul-15 06:52:32

Hi op.
I book interpreters for doctors, police, social services etc for Norfolk.
We do a lot of appointments for Brazilian Portuguese.
I obviously don't know the clients home addresses but there is definitely a higher concentration around the bigger towns.
Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Kings Lynn, Thetford.
I'm on good chatting terms with a Brazilian interpreter based in Norwich. I could ask her if you like?

Mfisher Tue 07-Jul-15 08:41:07

Hi magichamster, thank you very much. Actually we do go a lot, but just for long weekends, as my husband is from there. We have stayed in Holt, Sculthorpe, Overstrand, West Beckham...in cottages/barns, but just for weekends smile But definetely is good to know that there are other nationalities around! Thanks!

ihatethecold Love your nickname!! smile Thank you and yes, I would love if you could contact him/her and ask about it, that would be awesome. If you can perhaps you could give him/her my email address and we could chat about living in Norwich/around? Thank you so much!

(Sorry OP, we've removed your email address as we'd never advise anyone to post their private email address online. Anyone interested can contact you by PM - much safer! Cheers, MNHQ)

ihatethecold Tue 07-Jul-15 13:28:40

will do, Im not working again until friday so i wont contact her until then.

ihatethecold Fri 10-Jul-15 11:36:02

Hi Op, Ive had a chat with her, she said she is happy for me to pass on your email address.
She was saying that most Brazilian Portuguese live in Norwich, Thetford and Dereham.

She was also telling me that a new Brazilian restaurant has just opened in Norwich.

I hope you get to have a nice email exchange.

bruffin Fri 10-Jul-15 11:50:36

I have family in Thetford and there are a lot of Portuguese. There is even a european shop in the town selling Portugese and Polish produce, my mum's next door neighbours were Portugese.

ihatethecold Fri 10-Jul-15 12:50:55

I think the op was looking for the Brazilian Portuguese community.

bruffin Fri 10-Jul-15 14:08:57

I got the impression OP wasnt just specifically looking for Brazillian, just doesnt want to be the only non-english person around.

Mfisher Fri 10-Jul-15 21:45:49

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to talking to her. Many thanks!!

ihatethecold Fri 10-Jul-15 22:18:10

You're welcome
She might take a few days though.
She said she had friends over from Brazil for a few days.

QuizteamBleakley Mon 27-Jul-15 16:51:55

I'm a Norwich lass and - despite the Alan Partridge gags - it's quite a diverse city, and very welcoming. That said, there's nowhere like North Norfolk; Holt, Brancaster, Holkham and Wells (to name but a few) are amazing. I'm sorry not to specifically answer your question OP but I just wanted to say good luck and that we're generally very friendly, round these 'ere parts!

ihatethecold Tue 28-Jul-15 10:17:48

HI Op.
Did you meet for coffee in the end?

Mfisher Tue 04-Aug-15 17:06:04

Hi! Not yet but we have exchanged some emails smile I am still in London but this weekend I am heading to Norwich and will try to set up a coffee with her! smile Thank you!

ihatethecold Tue 04-Aug-15 17:43:01

Great news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now