Talk

Advanced search

Moving from London to Southend

(4 Posts)
kr15uk Mon 29-Jun-15 13:18:24

Ladies and gents,

How would you rate Southend as a place to live and rise our little one?
Is there some specific areas which are good and bad?
Any particular streets to avoid? Or are highly recommended?

Also as far as I remember in 2013 Southend suffered from floods, does anyone know which streets were under the water back then?

And the very last, are there anyone on Mumsnet who've made this decision as well to move out from London to Southend? If so then from which area and how you find the change?

Last thing worth to mention, I'm still keeping my professional life in London so I am talking more about the central Southend (more like SS1 area).

Thanks.

Regards,
Kris M

PooSweats84 Mon 29-Jun-15 13:31:21

Southend born and bred here, although thankfully don't live there anymore, myself and DH packed up and left with our 2 DC 5 years ago and haven't looked back! The town is going into massive decline, both with the people and the infrastructure. Too many people now in the town, a lot of those are unemployed and troublemakers, especially in the SS1 area, which is where all the hostels can be found. The only 'nice' area that the council throw money at is the seafront, but only out of season when it isn't packed with tourists causing trouble and making a mess!

PooSweats84 Mon 29-Jun-15 13:33:38

Also, house prices are the fastest rising in England because there is such a shortage, so you don't get much for your money, and good luck finding a school place if you're not starting your DC in reception, trying to find a place mid-year, you'll be offered schools in special measures only.

iMum Mon 29-Jun-15 13:36:25

Southend born and bred also.
I disagree-there are less desirable parts to be sure. Avoid areas of westcliff, some sorts of shoebury (tho I live in a lovely part) I'd really recommend south church as the best up and coming part of Southend and its central.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now