Talk

Advanced search

Rural areas/villages in Essex???

(12 Posts)
roxie12345 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:55:57

Hello people

We currently live right next to Gatwick where it is too expensive to buy our first house. So looking at other areas to buy a house where it's not as expensive!!

Can anyone suggest any lovely villages in Essex that we can look at OR any places to avoid!???

Thank youuuuu

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 21-Jun-15 16:32:17

Do you need to commute to London? Because that will influence where in Essex you should look.

I grew up in North East Essex, near the Suffolk border. The villages there are lovely, and there is good access to the coast, but the nearby towns (Colchester and Ipswich) aren't great. plus there's a longish commute to London (Liverpool Street).

The Saffron Walden area is lovely. Pretty villages, a quicker commute to London (still Liverpool St) and also not far from Cambridge which is a fab city.

I dont know the South Essex area so can't comment on that, but presumably the commute to London is quicker.

Allice Sun 21-Jun-15 16:34:15

I live in a village v nr Colchester. Many bits of Colchester are fine, agree, it really depends on if you need ready access to London.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 21-Jun-15 16:48:28

Stock is a very pretty village near Billericay, so good for commuting to Liverpool Street.
Danbury is a little larger, pretty, good facilities, near Chelmsford.
Neither are cheap though.

roxie12345 Sun 21-Jun-15 20:20:19

Thanks guys.

Umm, I don't need to travel to London at all..

PerspicaciaTick Sun 21-Jun-15 20:26:59

In that case - are you looking for very rural? seaside? do you need schools?
Maldon is nice. Small town rather than a village.
Coggeshall is pretty.
And I be happy in Pleshey.
Stock and Danbury still apply - unless you want very rural.

Buglife Sun 21-Jun-15 20:37:42

NE essex near Suffolk border there is Dedham, Stratford St Mary, Mistley, All near Colchester (and there is nothing at all wrong with Colchester, it has loads of restaurants, bars, theatre, cinema, and some of the best schools in the country if you need that).

Stock is more mid/South Essex, other places such as Horndon on the Hill are very pretty. Also it's more of a market town but Saffron Walden is nice.

CatthiefKeith Sun 28-Jun-15 00:05:48

I grew up in Horndon. Tis lovely. smile

Stinkersmum Sun 28-Jun-15 00:08:43

Doddinghurst is lovely. Rural but only 15 mins from Brentwood.

nicemarmot Mon 29-Jun-15 13:34:32

If you don't need to be need to commute that will extend your choice a lot. I moved out to Essex 9 years ago and think it's a great county. Houses are much cheaper than Sussex. Have lived in Finchingfield in North East Essex- lovely but touristy. Down the road is Great Bardfield which is lovely, lots of beautiful period houses. Saffron Walden is lovely but from what I've heard has become quite pricey. Villages around the Colne valley (North East Essex) are also good- Chappel, Bures and Fordham. Do you need to think about schools?

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 29-Jun-15 13:35:44

Wivenhoe is nice

nicemarmot Mon 29-Jun-15 13:38:00

One more thing in North East Essex you need to check out plane noise from Stansted. Thaxted is lovely but has bad plane noise.
One more to add to your list to look at is Castle Hedingham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now