Talk

Advanced search

How do you contain your toddlers or dont you

(5 Posts)
purplemurple1 Fri 22-May-15 19:05:08

We live on a small holding (about a hectare) and have no fencing as we dont keep animals (just grow veg). We have quite rds and cattle farms boardering us and a busier rd and lake nearby not to mention old building and open well of our own. So I think we should contain the toddlers (6months and 2 at the moment) OH thinks there is no need.
What have you done? Fence in it all, none, a small sqaure? Have all the play things inside and therefore exciting stuff non play stuff outside?

Pretty much all the farm families local to us have a fenced garden - toddlers "help" parents on the farm and wander about under supervision but get freedom gradually, not wandering a set up like you describe til age 5 or 6.

Lucked Mon 01-Jun-15 11:04:29

I have a fenced area off the back door so I can be in the kitchen. We don't have a farm but large gardens and a busy road. They 'help' in the rest of the garden when we are out but if I am popping In and out to check on dinner, take one to the bathroom etc they are in the little fenced area. The fence isn't high but the bolts are on the outside so you have to reach over the top to prevent an escape.

winchester1 Thu 20-Aug-15 18:55:06

Thanks, only just noticed I got some answers. This summer has been OK so far as the little one isn't mobile yet, but we are still not decided what to do long term.
We are getting the well cover fixed and plan to fix the bridge next summer and put some platic fencing across the entrance route.
We cleared a lot of old windows, macinery and several sharp knives from the old buildings this summer, and out alock on one door to contain the axes, saws, chainsaw, strimmers etc so small steps in making it safer.

Suzietwo Mon 16-Nov-15 19:25:55

Yup 2 gardens. A small enclosed area near the house off the kitchen and the the big garden/veg plot etc. Works really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now