Talk

Advanced search

Advice: Leaving London

(12 Posts)
EllieH86 Sun 17-May-15 18:17:09

Hello! My husband and I are considering moving out of London. We have two boys aged 3 and 1. I have lived in London all my life (29 years) and he grew up in New Milton then went to university in Bath before moving to London 8 years ago. I loved London when I was younger but now find it to be too manic and fast paced. We live on the outskirts and very rarely venture in. Our local high streets are very shabby and we don't enjoy visiting them. Our next option is Westfield in Stratford which, whilst lovely, is as manic as central London. Also our eldest son is on the autistic spectrum and is easily over-whelmed by too much stimulation.

We'd both love to live in a detached cottage with stunning views one day but for now, we want somewhere where we can raise our boys, near good schools, good work opportunities for hubby with good transport and some things to do (shops, cafes, etc) which is why York or Harrogate appeal to us currently (only on paper; if still appealing after more research we will go visit and take a look around). We also don't drive yet and though keen to learn it would be nice for it not to be essential.

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any other good places we could look in to? Doesn't have to be Yorkshire but the vibe up north does appeal to us. Also what areas would be good to look in to in York or Harrogate? Anyone move out of London and regret it? Any advice/tips/ideas most welcome.

Thank you!

PotteringAlong Sun 17-May-15 18:20:04

Durham? Or even parts of Newcastle - if you don't want to drive then look on the metro lines. How about the coast? Tynemouth / Whitley Bay area?

Stinkersmum Sun 17-May-15 18:20:27

A lot depends on your budget. Would you be happy to divulge?

PotteringAlong Sun 17-May-15 18:20:47

Give us an idea of your budget and we can find you your dream house! grin

PotteringAlong Sun 17-May-15 18:21:06

Cross posts!

EllieH86 Sun 17-May-15 19:21:40

Budget: 250,000-275,000 would be ideal as that would leave us mortgage free but we'd increase the budget and settle for a small mortgage if need be :-) Also, we are happy for this to be a step towards our dream/forever home which we'd save up for over time but we still want a decent property as it would be the home our children grow up in.

EllieH86 Sun 17-May-15 19:26:40

Ooh, Durham looks beautiful!

trashcansinatra Sun 17-May-15 19:37:41

What do you mean by 'good work opportunities for hubby' as that will make a difference?

If working from home is an option then you have pretty much anywhere on offer. Have you thought about Northern Ireland? Very beautiful countryside and good education.

EllieH86 Sun 17-May-15 19:55:54

I guess I just mean somewhere with plenty of opportunities in general. We like the idea of Harrogate or York because it has quick and easy access to Leeds. His current role in London does not have many opportunities available to him up north so he would consider a change of direction if necessary. Also is looking in to doing his current job from home but as it may not be an option for him we've been looking for places with good access to cities.

trashcansinatra Sun 17-May-15 21:50:13

Cotswolds/Gloucestershire/Worcestershire is quite good too and really lovely. Lots of rural villages, gorgeous countryside and London, Oxford, Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham within reach.

AgentProvocateur Sun 17-May-15 21:52:37

Edinburgh?

EllieH86 Mon 18-May-15 20:45:49

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - will get researching :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now