Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed! Potential move to Forest of Dean area (Lydney\Coleford)

(8 Posts)
MummyMiles86 Thu 14-May-15 14:29:10

Hi all,

My husband and I currently live in Devizes, Wiltshire and need to move somewhere bigger to benefit our 18month DD. Husband works from home most the time so we are reasonably flexible on where we can live. We've been looking at houses in Lydney and Coleford but as we don't know the area its difficult. Just after any advice/opinions on these area's? Thanks!

aprilshowersbringmayflowers Thu 14-May-15 14:35:08

friends are selling a gorgeous one in Blakeney!

BrieAndChilli Thu 14-May-15 14:37:41

I live near Chepstow which isn't far from Lydney (and my FIL lives in Lydney) the Forest of Dean is a beautiful area and lovely in the summer. Public transport isn't great but I drive which I would say is a must to be able to get the most from the area. Not a huge range of supermarkets. Not sure about coleford but Lydney has a co op and a tesco. No Aldo for miles. Chepstow has a tesco and co op and lidl and Caldicot has a waitrose and asda
coleford has a small cinema, nearest big cinemas are Newport, Bristol or Gloucester.
Lots of baby groups around etc

BrieAndChilli Thu 14-May-15 14:39:35

When your husband does work where would he need to get to? Chepstow may be an option as it right by the Severn bridge, but right next to the Wye valley and Forest of Dean with all its beauty spots. But is more expensive as a popular commuter town for families

CMOTDibbler Sun 17-May-15 18:33:47

I think where your dh would need to get to when not WFH would be a big factor for me - sil lives in Newent, and we often go to the Forest of Dean to cycle, and it takes forever as its small, windy roads

Morgieboys12 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:47:54

Hi we are thinking to move to Mitcheldean we know nobody & I have 13 year old son . How friendly is it do they mind new comers & any views on Dene Magna school .
its a last minute decision crazy i know . any help would be great or if local villages better do say

Morgieboys12 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:49:16

Hi we want to move to Evesham way but really like village feel living . we know nobody im a single mum with 13 year old . wheres friendly ? I dont mind evesham but has to be in Prince Henry catchment .
any help would be great

officerhinrika Tue 21-Feb-17 01:43:49

morgie, if you are still looking for info on Mitcheldean, it's a very friendly village, doctors library pharmacy, butchers, co-op etc. For the 13 year old there's football in Mitcheldean, Rugby at Drybrook just up the hill plus swimming, judo, gymnastics locally as well as all the access to the woods for cycling etc. Dene Magna is still doing very well, some years since my kids went there and some staff have changed but the behaviour is still great and they still get outstanding Ofsteds.
There's quite a bit for adults to join and a new microbrewery bar has opened in the Mews. Commuting is easy and there's still a bus service!
Can you tell that I like the area?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now