Advanced search

Moving to Steyning, Sussex or surrounding areas

(12 Posts)
LAMMI1 Tue 10-Feb-15 09:42:32

Can anyone help please, I am considering moving South and have come across Steyning which looks very beautiful. I have a 7 year old daughter. Can anyone advise on schools in the area and the community. Any input would be much appreciated!!

TRexingInAsda Tue 10-Feb-15 22:36:24

Oooh lucky you! My friend lives in Steyning. It's lovely, a really nice area. I think Steyning grammar school has a great reputation, although I only know that from when a friend went there years ago, but I'd bet any school around there would be very good.

LAMMI1 Wed 11-Feb-15 07:51:40

Thank you TRexing, I went there yesterday and had a good look round, talked to some of the locals etc. Everyone seemed really friendly and helpful!! Not too much in my price range at the mo so will look at some of the surrounding villages too as they seem a bit cheaper! Do you know much about the surrounding areas Upper Beeding etc??

TRexingInAsda Wed 11-Feb-15 09:18:39

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the little rural villages north of Worthing tbh. If budget is an issue Steyning might be a bit ambitious! But there are lots of lovely little villages around there. Or if you want somewhere with a bigger centre but still a nice rural/historic character, you could look at Midhurst.

LAMMI1 Wed 11-Feb-15 18:42:03

Thank you, will definitely take a look at Midhurst and surrounding areas!! There are a couple of places within budget in Steyning but not much to choose from at the moment!! Hopefully things will pick up towards the spring!!

LeftyLoony Wed 11-Feb-15 18:48:21

I grew up in the Petworth area (more out towards Midhurst).
Fittleworth, Kirdford, Ifold, Plaistow, Loxwood are all nice. Primary school is in Plaistow (except Fittleworth and Loxwood) with kids tending to go to The Weald in Billingshurst at secondary, or Midhurst Grammar.

ThePerUnaBomber Wed 11-Feb-15 18:55:17

Steyning is very very white Middle class and lots of retired folk - prices are high due to that plus the good primary and v good secondary (called a grammar but we don't have grammar schools in sussex). Worthing itself is much more reasonable and improving all the time - many outstanding primaries, secondary not so great. If you want village - Ashington / Storrington, Henfield much more reasonable. Hassocks nearer Brighton and on the London line - Lots of new housing about to be built there. Upper Beeding and Bramber are tiny and poorly served, amenity wise and transport wise.

LAMMI1 Thu 12-Feb-15 21:08:25

Thank you lefty and peruna for giving me some really sound advice , am going to look into all the suggestions you've given me. It is so good to get an insight into an area before you actually take the plunge!!!! Will keep you posted!

slightlyconfused85 Thu 12-Feb-15 21:15:29

Hello, I grew up in steyning. I am now Brighton based but it was a lovely place to grow up, although public transport links are poor. I am a teacher as have worked at SGS- it is okay but extremely large and split site. The primary is good. Bramber and Upper Beeding are also nice, as well as Henfield although this is quite big these days! A real gem is West Chiltington although it's quite pricey. Pm if you want any further info.

LAMMI1 Sat 14-Feb-15 11:41:46

Hi slightly (love the name!!) Thank you for your input it has given me much food for thought!! Have had to put things on holdfor at least 6 months but if and when I eventually move I will definitely come to you for more info!!!

sgermainek Wed 18-Feb-15 20:29:36

Hello sorry to hijack thus tread, but I'm also thinking of moving to steyning with my family, a 6 year old and a 2 yr old. We want more space than we can afford In brighton where we currently are, and more outdoor stuff for the kids. Can I please have some opinions from people in steyning with young kids? Is it friendly? I'm currently in hanover brighton, with a great community and friends. Slightly worried to give that up :-/

Laska42 Wed 18-Feb-15 20:32:32

three words:

Shoreham by Sea..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now