Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I want to get married, how can I convince him?? VERY superficial

(39 Posts)
MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 10:58:53

I always wanted to marry while I was still fairly young. I def. would like to get married before 30 (no specific reason for this).

Also dp is losing his hair and would like to tie the knot whilst he still has hair!

AND I would like at least one more child but would really like to be married for a couple of years before this happens. My dm had an early menopause so would really like to get another before 35 and maybe a third.

He is in no rush whatsoever! but I'd like a fairly long engagement to def. get the venue etc (also I'm so busy with other stuff it takes me an eternity to organise anything)

How can I convince him to propose? if I asked him he'd say no! I have explained all of the above to him but he's just like "yeah ok"

steffee Wed 17-Aug-05 11:43:57

Um... no idea, but good luck!

compo Wed 17-Aug-05 11:48:27

could you plan the wedding as a surprise?!! Or give him an ultimatum - 'either we get spliced or I'm off'!!!

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 11:51:20

no answers as in the same situation! hope someone comes up with a winning formula

bran Wed 17-Aug-05 12:02:24

I proposed to my dh, he said "no" the first time, but I tried again when he was very, very drunk and he said "yes". It's worth a go.

Springchicken Wed 17-Aug-05 12:07:25

Go on about how "when he eventually asks you to marry him" you have already picked the dress of your dreams! this worked for me and DP proposed within about 30 mins of me saying, however, what i didn't know was that he had planned it weeks ago, asked my parents etc !

Needless to say, i'm probably not the best person to take relationship advice from atm.
Good Luck, i hope he gets your hint soon

aloha Wed 17-Aug-05 12:07:32

Cry?
Actually, this can be effective, because it really does show them that it means a lot to you.

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:08:58

well I was hoping all the slick MNers would come up with a cunning plan (Other than FF's - get pregnent/tell him your dying plans)

He just so relaxed about everything. Was joking the other day (when I was showing him the engagement ring link on here) that he'd probably just tuck £20 in my pocket and tell me to go and buy a ring! I am currently trying to teach him that the size of the diamond shows how much he loves me unfortunately he's not as stupid as sometimes acts just kidding

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:09:45

Oooo crying is a tactic I've not tried (I very rarely cry) he would be scraed.

aloha Wed 17-Aug-05 12:11:45

Scared is good

aloha Wed 17-Aug-05 12:11:48

Scared is good

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:33:15

hmmmm yes scared is good. he might think I'm unbalanced. Or just wanting to get married for the sake of it.

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 12:37:39

I've tried crying, blase, and ff's pregnancy plan (but not her dying one so far lol)

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 12:38:02

and mainly I do want to 'for the sake of it!'

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:40:19

<whispers> oh sod it - yeah, me too!

Kind of.. I would like to finally feel that we are fully committed to each other though... The ring would be a placebo for my simmering insecurity that one day, one day, he might leave me. even though 95% of me is sure he never would!

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 12:41:56

Yes, it's kind of the last hurdle, isn't it? I'd love a ring and to say 'my husband' I'd be really proud

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:43:14

yes Ninah - we are on the same wavelength!

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 12:44:24

mmm .. I am 38 tho, so by the time I'm 50 seems realistic lol

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:45:55

Also dp isn't my dd's father so at the moment I don't actually feel like a real family iykwim

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 12:52:01

I understand. Well ds is ours, we also have dss 15 from a prev relationship of dp's. dss and dp have one surname, I have another and ds has a double-b
with another child on the way in December I'd feel a bit more 'consolidated' with a husband!
It's not a major deal. The more I focus on it the less likely it is to happen I think. Kind of hoping he'll surprise me one day. Unless someone can think of anything else ...
Sounds like you've been a bit more dignifed than I, MoH! try the crying?

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 12:57:05

I'm not obsessed or anything, it would just be nice.

Will try the crying, need a specific thing to trigger it though. Have a wedding in September maybe the day after I could get a bit upset. OR (lightbulb) maybe I could go on about the party and sell it as a fab party!

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 13:02:01

I think you should be radiant at the Sept wedding
Take a camera, then start crying silently when you see/print off the photos
Or stand behind the bride and fight to catch the bouquet haha
Be sure to let me know how it goes, we also have a Sept wedding but I don't think the above is so effective with a big bump!
Lunch now, see you later MoH x

BucketCrouch Wed 17-Aug-05 13:07:02

Do you own a house? Just scare him about having to sell it pay Inheritance Tax when one of you pops.

snafu Wed 17-Aug-05 13:09:24

Just arrange it all, blindfold him and drive him there

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 13:11:35

lol! I'll sharpen my elbows!

We don't own a house together and he owns a lot of property with his father. I'm petrified about his father dying as he will have to remortgage to pay the inheritence tax!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: