Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you class as a one night stand?

(24 Posts)
Louise1980 Sat 13-Aug-05 16:01:36

Im just curious as my freind thinks Ive had loads and i dont.

In my eyes a one night stand is when you meet someone at a pub/club etc and take them home and sleep with them same night, never see them again.

I often meed blokes when im out with my friends on several occasions before i sleep with them. I always know their first name and most times surname and phone number. Do these coult as one nighters or are they just bed friends?

jampots Sat 13-Aug-05 16:03:59

i think its more a case of sex without relationship.

WideWebWitch Sat 13-Aug-05 16:04:51

Ha ha louise1980. I started off thinking it would be good if I only had sex when I was married, then that changed to it would be ok if I was engaged, then if I loved them, then if I liked them, then if I fancied them. And often it was a bit of a bonus if I could remember someone's name (I used to be a slapper, v happily with dp now). Anyway, a 1 night stand is just that I think, 1 night. If you go out with them several times and THEN sleep with them, hell, that's practically a relationship imo!

Carla Sat 13-Aug-05 16:05:08

Shag 'n' go. Staying the night optional. Since you asked

snafu Sat 13-Aug-05 16:05:35

Aaaaah, one night stands, those were the days

expatinscotland Sat 13-Aug-05 16:10:53

Those are just bed friends. The classic one nighter is just as you described, although it's more of a one-night+early morning thing.

motherinferior Sat 13-Aug-05 16:12:04

Nah, I disagree, www. Me, I think a one night stand is just one night, whether or not you knew them first. Including, you know, mates who you ended up having a drunken spot of wossmname with after a friendly agreement that it would be a nice way to round off the evening.

Not that I know about any of this, you understand

expatinscotland Sat 13-Aug-05 16:14:14

You know their surnames? You're sober enough to remember their forenames - not just 'the bloke from 'The Netherworld' or 'that fella I met after that row w/[insert current on/off partner]'? Wow, I'm impressed!

WideWebWitch Sat 13-Aug-05 16:16:04

EIS, well, there are a few on my list with names like 'bloke from x club' MI, no, of course you know nothing about these things!

Carla Sat 13-Aug-05 16:17:39

Actually, rethinking that reply - FAB.

motherinferior Sat 13-Aug-05 16:17:48

And knowing their real phone numbers???

WideWebWitch Sat 13-Aug-05 16:18:19

<snigger, snigger>

expatinscotland Sat 13-Aug-05 16:24:07

I made the mistake of giving one my real mobile number. For about a month he'd phone me at 2AM whenever he left a bar alone. Let me put on my shame face here (not that I really have one), but I took him up on it a few times. He lived in the block of flats next door - he was 'the guy I met after rowing w/on/off boyfriend' - and was terribly cute. Got the first name, Luca. But the surname will forever remain a mystery . . .

Louise1980 Sat 13-Aug-05 16:24:12

MIF they are their real fone numbers coz they are the ones i fone them on when i decide i want it to go from more than a drunken snog to a good old session!

snafu Sat 13-Aug-05 16:24:58

Isn't that what's known as a 'booty call', expat?

motherinferior Sat 13-Aug-05 16:26:43

Cor, that's more than I've ever got.

Well, apart from DP and two kids, of course.

expatinscotland Sat 13-Aug-05 16:29:05

A 'booty call' I was drunk enough to accept.

snafu Sat 13-Aug-05 16:30:12

Nothing to be ashamed about. I had one of those that went on for four years. Classy bird, me.

Louise1980 Sat 13-Aug-05 16:48:10

Snafu rnt those the best kind?

You ignore them when you dont want them and you dont get the hassle that goes with a relationship?

snafu Sat 13-Aug-05 16:51:11

It was, until I stupidly persuaded myself I was in love with him <<groan>>

Louise1980 Sat 13-Aug-05 16:52:37

Bad move Snafu, but wo am i to talk. I usually spend all the time telling myself that i dont love them! Just so i dont get hurt.

juice Sat 13-Aug-05 17:06:03

i aint ever had a one night stand. had a few flings. had sex with a male friend one night, if you could call it sex. we just about got caught by the police chasing a bad guy, very funny, but not if we got caught.
i would say a one night stand is meet a guy you never met before, have sex, then never see again.

steffee Sat 13-Aug-05 17:09:54

I'd say a one-night stand is someone you sleep with once (or more than once in one day/night/early morning if you're really lucky). A F-Buddy (sorry, I just can't swear!!) is someone you just sleep with but don't have a relationship with - anything from twice to a million times and over however long a period you want. Casual relationships is someone who you like(d) and met up for their company rather than just for sex and use the phrase "going out with...", "seeing..." or whatever the fashionable term is/was at the time. A serious relationship is someone you a.) live or have lived with, b.) love or once thought you loved, seriously though, not just a crush, or c.) a casual relationship that lasted longer than your usual casuals.

Just my opinion though.

Medussssa Mon 03-Apr-17 03:36:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now