Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

benefits for a single mums

(10 Posts)
mumalone Mon 25-Jul-05 13:07:08

My friend has now split up with her dp she has 3 children and the youngest is only 3 months old, can anyone tell me what benefits she will be entiltled to and how much she will be surviving on, she cant work as she has the baby to look after. Shes in rented property, will she get help to pay the rent etc..

Tortington Mon 25-Jul-05 21:56:26

she needs to sort out housing benefit immediatley as it takes ages and she could get evicted and end up homeless.

thats if she has no savings of course - if she does she wont be entitled to hb.

dont know about other benefits why not try the benefits website

bbmad Mon 25-Jul-05 21:59:05

My friend is in the same position and I know she is now getting her rent paid in full and most of her council tax. Her ex is giving her money every week and the rest is made up with tax credits and income support. I think she told me that the law says her and her family need £160 a week to live on but not sure about that.

Sorry not to be more help!

spursmum Mon 25-Jul-05 22:06:07

I am an expert on this!!! Your friend needs to have an up to date tenancy agreement, also depending on the rent rates the council may offer to pay a percentage.The major benefits are income support which will cover her, child tax credits will cover the children, csa will ask her to start proceedings or prove that payments have been agreed between both parents and the housing benefit and council tax benefit. She can also ask for her child benefit payments to be paid weekly instead of 4 weekly. the average rates are £55.65 a week I.S the same rates for C.B and can't be sure on the CTC. She will also be entitled to free presciptions, dental work and milk for under 5's HTH

weesaidie Mon 25-Jul-05 22:12:29


I get my rent paid as a single mum plus child tax credit, income support, maintenence and child benefit.

I am going to uni in the autumn which means I lose my income support but luckily still have housing benefit which is the main thing!

Hope your friend sorts everything out, I went to CAB which helped me enormously!

weesaidie Mon 25-Jul-05 22:13:56

Also income support depends on maintenence. My exs maintenence gets subtracted from my income support except for £10!

spursmum Mon 25-Jul-05 22:17:28

weesadie go to your nearest CAB you get so many grants and loans to help you replace your IS. i read up on it when i thought of going back to uni. most of them do not need to be repaid.

weesaidie Mon 25-Jul-05 22:21:11

thanks spursmum... have been allocated loans and a single parent grant so far but am worried about repayments... so much debt! Eek!

Nixz Mon 25-Jul-05 22:50:53

I am also starting uni in september, and am single mum. I know i get a grant and student loan - will i still get CTC?
If my rent is paid, council tax is not applicable because im a student - will i have to live on my student loans? Does anyone know?

mumalone Tue 26-Jul-05 10:18:24

thank you everybody youve been a big help, all these benefits gets confusing so shes now going to the CAB. thank s again!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: