Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Whirlwind romance - does it ever work?

(70 Posts)
RockinSockBunnies Sat 02-Jan-10 19:52:44

So, I met a guy Tuesday evening, spent all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with him, seeing him again tomorrow.

He's met my daughter, I'm meeting his son tomorrow. My facebook status is suddenly changed to 'in a relationship'.

We've talked about everything under the sun, from stuff I rarely tell anyone, to plans that I have for the future.

Now, I'm spending half the time pinching myself that this is happening. I'm also aware of how ridiculously fast things are progressing. But I'm also extremely happy and love being with him.

Does anyone have any positive stories of relationships that have lasted, having started as a whirlwind romance?

LisaD1 Sat 02-Jan-10 19:57:10

Thought I would let you know my story..

Currently sitting here with amazing DH and 2 DC. Met my husband in the April, moved in together in the June, been together for 6 years, married for 3, couldn't be happier..

Sometimes, things are just meant to be smile

Enjoy!!

VerityBrulee Sat 02-Jan-10 19:57:25

No, but as a lifelong romantic, I hope it all works out for you smile

Zoomy Sat 02-Jan-10 20:04:52

Met, bought a house together after three months, married three months after that....20th wedding anniversary this year.

Having children didn't happen until eight years into the marriage though....the commitment needed for marriage was easy, children was something I needed to work up to.grin

Not sure it was whirlwind thing...I just went with the flow and it all seems to have worked out Ok so far. smile

Marne Sat 02-Jan-10 20:05:46

I met dh when i was 20, got together in Jan, moved in together by feb, met his children a week after i met him, had his name tattooed on my back 2 weeks after i met him (mad i know), had dd1 the following Feb, got married the following October. We have been together for 7 years.

Go for it.

RockinSockBunnies Sat 02-Jan-10 20:09:23

Lisa - thank you for your positive story! Part of me is sure that everything is somehow jinxed simply because things are going so quickly so it's great to know there are happy endings grin!

RockinSockBunnies Sat 02-Jan-10 20:10:04

And thank you others!

4andnotout Sat 02-Jan-10 20:13:36

I knew dp for a couple of weeks previously then on the Thursday he popped in for a cuppa, we fell into bed, he moved in on the Monday that was January 2004, dd2 arrived MArch 05 and dd's 3&4 follloed in 2007 &2008 will be 6 years together this month

4andnotout Sat 02-Jan-10 20:15:05

To clarify I knew him as a friend rather than a boyfriend until the Thursday he had been to shy to make a move!

SardineJam Sat 02-Jan-10 20:15:57

My mom and dad got engaged after only knowing each other for three days!!!!!! They married five months later [these 5 months they spent apart as they were having a (very) long distance relationship] and three months after that my mom fell pregnant with my sister. This was 42 years ago! My parents have had their ups and downs but they are still very much together

StrawberryBeret Sat 02-Jan-10 20:18:10

As far as I'm concerned "whirlwind" romances are fine if you have no dependent children in tow = if you do, then I'm sorry to be a cynical old unromantic spoilsport but I think you owe it to themn to be a little bit cautious and circumspect.

It's all very well saying "we've known each other for three days and have already talked for hours and hours about everything under the sun" - nope, for me you have to take if a bit more steadily if you have children to think about and consider yourself to be a responsible parent.

Sorry but three days, even if you have not slept for a single moment of those three days and have spent every moment getting to know your new partner, is not a basis on which to invite a stranger in to live with your children.

Onlyjoking Sat 02-Jan-10 20:20:13

well................ after a few difficult years looking after my husband who had cancer and died, i didnt think that i would ever love and be loved again.
and then i met Tom grin
our first date was 12 hours, he asked me to marry him after 5 weeks 6 days.
we have been together 15 weeks now and we still get wobbly legs when we meet, all 5 of our kids get on extremely well and we are all very very happy.
go for it, life is too short to regret the things you didnt go for.

WhatFuckingYearIsItAnyway Sat 02-Jan-10 20:20:27

sb, I agree

but I am also an old cynic

the chances are this will end in tears, I know there are some positive stories but many more end up a disaster IMO

BrokenBananaTantrum Sat 02-Jan-10 20:26:53

I met my DH on a sunday and had moved in with him by the following friday. We have been together 11 years and married for 9. smile

StrawberryBeret Sat 02-Jan-10 20:27:24

I suppose if you're the type who has a fatalistic, what will be will be, everything happens for a reason sort of outlook on life then nothing will stop you.

I suppose you could always look at it the other way around and say life is too short and too precious to rush in headlong and balls things up and ruin it too!

Oh well, I guess it would be a boring old world if we were all the same.

StrawberryBeret Sat 02-Jan-10 20:29:16

Oh, and in the interests of balance why not post up a new thread asking how many "whirlwind romances" went tits up?!

WhatFuckingYearIsItAnyway Sat 02-Jan-10 20:29:44

good luck anyway, OP grin

I hope it works out

RockinSockBunnies Sat 02-Jan-10 20:31:38

Thanks for the suggestion Strawberry, but my New Year's Resolution is to be optimistic grin!

CremeDeMenthe Sat 02-Jan-10 20:32:29

Went round to DH's for dinner as a friend. Never left. That was 10 years and 3 DC ago grin

EdgarAleNPie Sat 02-Jan-10 20:33:41

my folks moved in three weeks after their first encounter. still together forty years later.

GloriaInEccentrica Sat 02-Jan-10 20:34:12

i met noe DH in may. spent every evening (most nights) and weekends together for 4 weeks. got pregnant.
will be 15 years together this year and married for 10.

take happiness when you can. enjoy it.

Lulumama Sat 02-Jan-10 20:35:11

got engaged to DH 3 weeks after meeting him, almost 13 years ago. 2 DCs and 11.5 years of marriage later,we're doing ok grin

BitOfFun Sat 02-Jan-10 20:37:34

As long as you are prepared to put it down to experience if you see any red flags, I reckon go for it. I met and fell in love within a week, and have no regrets at all four years later.

ib Sat 02-Jan-10 20:41:23

Got together with dh less than a week after meeting him, virtually moved in with each other immediately (were at university) and got a place together after the end of that year. Decided to get married about 6 months after meeting (and we were still teenagers at the time!).

18 years on we are still very happy. Didn't have ds1 until 15 years after we met, though. As zoomy said, that's a whole different level of commitment!

BigBadMummy Sat 02-Jan-10 20:43:05

my parents met, my mum was pregnant a couple of months later, they got married....

Been together for 40 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now