Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why did you get married?

(43 Posts)
charliecat Mon 27-Jun-05 10:49:48

I hope you dont think thats daft question, im not married and wondered what made people do it.

handlemecarefully Mon 27-Jun-05 10:51:57

Inspired by anther thread per chance?

Got married because for me (and I'm not knocking cohabiting in any way or dimishing it), it signified a greater commitment.

kid Mon 27-Jun-05 10:52:14

I wouldn't have cared if I didn't get married, it wouldn't have made a difference to us staying together. (We just celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary last week).

I do prefer to have the same surname as my kids but its not essential.

Kelly1978 Mon 27-Jun-05 10:52:17

because I was pg, and wanted a 'proper' setup for my dd. I'm not married to the father of my dts and it doesn't feel right somehow. I persoanlly feels there should be some commitment to the father of my children, rather than having kids with my 'boyfriend'. But the dts weren't planned.

suzywong Mon 27-Jun-05 10:52:27

we got married for...........

Visa purposes, but also for lurve

cupcakes Mon 27-Jun-05 10:53:12

because we were in love and felt it was the next level which we wanted to take it to.

Lizzylou Mon 27-Jun-05 10:55:05

Because we balance each other out perfectly and make a great team, we'd been together for ages and were/are in love...I knew from the first date that I would marry my DH...it just took him 6 years to bloomin well pop the question! He also has a great ass!

compo Mon 27-Jun-05 10:57:52

Because dh proposed to me and I loved him, could think of no reason why I didn't want to spend the rest of my life with him, so I said yes. It doesn't have to be for practical reasons etc, it can be just because they ask you and you want to What would you do if your dp asked you?

Pruni Mon 27-Jun-05 11:04:58

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Mon 27-Jun-05 11:06:10

because we loved each other, and with DH being in the army, its the only way we could live together as we couldnt afford a house.

we got together in the may and married december.

QueenOfQuotes Mon 27-Jun-05 11:06:53

Same reason as Compo - although I did have to make a pretty quick 'decision' as to whether I wanted to marry him - due to me living abroad on a short term visa

ivy3 Mon 27-Jun-05 11:07:25

To make a commitment to each other - that was more than anything we had had in previous relationships.

BTW we had one dd and had lived together for a number of years first. To 'seal' our relationship.

HappyHuggy Mon 27-Jun-05 11:10:27

i wanted the big white dress, the ring and the attention.

but i was only 17 at the time.

franke Mon 27-Jun-05 11:19:40

So that we wouldn't have to pay so much tax and to avoid the bureaucracy we encountered when unmarried. I can honestly say our relationship hasn't changed one bit since we got married and I'm a bit disappointed that we felt the need to 'toe the line' purely for financial reasons.

Gem13 Mon 27-Jun-05 11:22:36

To be taken more seriously as a couple.

We were living together in the US and a few times when I was introduced by DH as his girlfriend, people asked when I was going back to the UK. I realised they wouldn't have asked if I'd been his wife.

Doesn't sound very romantic but we had decided we would get married 3 weeks after knowing each other, lived together after 6 months, married after 8 years.

stitch Mon 27-Jun-05 11:24:34

because we loved each other. and it was the next step in showing our commitment to each other.
also living together would not have been acceptable to either one of our parents, or to us, as we both feel it shows lack of commitment. just our viewpoint for ourselves.

anorak Mon 27-Jun-05 11:25:38

I wanted to show my dh how much I loved him by tying myself to him in a legal way. And I wanted the same level of commitment from him. I wanted to feel that I was valuable - worth jumping in with both feet for - worth spending money on a big wedding for - worth staking a big chunk of your life on. And to give him the same feeling of worth. He's the only person in my whole life who ever made me feel valuable.

slug Mon 27-Jun-05 12:00:30

Because the Home Office insisted.

novadandypowder Mon 27-Jun-05 12:01:28

I'm a bit old fashioned and wanted to get married before having children. It's also made both of us feel more 'settled' with each other, and we can enjoy our time together rather than always wondering about the level of commitment from the other person. It was also wonderful to share the wedding day with all our friends and family, it was very emotional, and one huge party.

However, i will just add that we found the honeymoon a bit weird. It was kind of like 'what do we do now' and thought it should have been some dream like time of non stop romance, and thought we were failing in some way because it wasn't.

After a few months though we settled into married life very well, and i really do love him more all the time

Lonelymum Mon 27-Jun-05 12:02:46

Because I was in love with dh, wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, wanted a stable situation in which to have children, and because dh and I are huge traditionalists. (We did not live together before hand.)

QueenEagle Mon 27-Jun-05 12:12:36

When I fell pregnant with ds3 (already had 3 from previous marriage) I wanted to get married before he was born. For me, being married then having kids is the order it should be done. Being married rather than being b/f and g/f felt right. Also wanted the kids to have the same surname. I knew dh was "the one" and would be a good role model for my kids. Couldn't imagine life without him and I love him too.

Flum Mon 27-Jun-05 12:21:31

To get some decent crockery and glass ware.

Are there other reasons then?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 12:23:20

Because we agreed we'd get married, when we started going out.

Seriously, I knew DH wanted marriage before kids, and we both wanted kids, so I agreed, when we started dating, that when the time came, I'd marry him.

lilibet Mon 27-Jun-05 12:30:02

Because he asked me really really nicely

womba1 Mon 27-Jun-05 12:30:26

Because my dh and i knew we wanted to be together forever and to us,it was the ultimate way of showing commitment to each other.
Like Lonelymum and her dh, we are also traditionalists and we wanted to do things the 'proper' way for us... fall in love, get married, love together and then have children.
And in no way am i criticising anybody who has done things differently.. each to their own!

( i reckon we should all add disclaimers to every comment we write... just in case!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: