Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Worrying about parents

(6 Posts)
doiwant3 Tue 10-Nov-09 15:48:34

I think I'm being really stupid, but recently I just worry so much about my parents. They aren't that old - in their 70s, but some of their close friends have died in the last few months and I am so scared of them dying. I just love them both so much, and now I find myself getting upset and worrying about it.
I think I sound selfish, as this is not a real problem as such, but I wondered if others felt the same?

cestlavielife Tue 10-Nov-09 15:50:33

they will die one day - we all will - but you have no control over when that will happen. if this anxiety is affecting you you should see a counsellor - a pre-bereavement counsellor?

do you worry about other things that might/are going to happen sometime?

doiwant3 Tue 10-Nov-09 16:04:24

not to this extent. just emotional about this really. oh dear!

SonSon Tue 10-Nov-09 22:42:40

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel. My parent's are similar ages to yours, I find myself with the same worries. Also I worry how one will cope without the other. Also I'm an only child so it feels that I'll have no-one to share memories with, if that makes sense.

PercyPigPie Tue 10-Nov-09 23:30:59

I know what you mean - it is very hard sad.

Vivia Wed 11-Nov-09 09:24:43

Oh, OP, you don't sound selfish. My darling granny is in her seventies and I get this horrible pang of fear and upset and outright panic at some part of every day. She's my best friend. I live six hours drive away from her and it's hell. I adore her. I don't have anything useful to say - but I do know that we are exceptionally lucky to have such wonderful parents/grandparents that we can't bear to lose them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now