Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this a community or not?

(139 Posts)
Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 10:36:40

This might turn into a bit of a ramble and a bit of a rant. This is my first posting for a couple of months and my first lengthy spell surfing the site for almost as long. I'm puzzled at the way some of you seem to deal with trolls or perhaps I should say suspected trolls. I read many commercial and non-commercial newsgroups and I cannot think of a single unmoderated group and only one moderated group where trolls don't post. But what I don't see on these other sites is such a tiny sub group so grossly over-reacting to trolls. On Mumsnet the same few people seem to post their suspicions and then "run to teacher" (where teacher = Mumsnet HQ) again and again and again. But if you read other threads on Mumsnet people fairly overwhelmingly express negative views on these "troll hunters" but the hunters just go with their campaigning. Why not just accept the majority view on this matter?

Eg, other posters have explained clearly, calmly and well exactly what the dangers are in the "automatic suspicion about a first posting" reaction. Talk about falling on deaf ears angry. People might turn to Mumsnet in a moment of crisis only to get savaged by this tiny clique. For clique it is.

If you are not happy about a thread ignore it. The rest of us are big boys and girls well able to make our own decisions on veracity, participation or boycott or whatever. If one genuine poster runs away because of your antics or if one useful thread, even if started by a troll, gets terminated because of your obsession with trolls then the community as a whole is the loser. I find your actions both selfish and unwanted.

Flame proof underwear is now in place smile

posieparker Tue 10-Nov-09 10:40:53

er....what's your point?

ginnny Tue 10-Nov-09 10:42:56

Troll!!! grin

AbricotsSecs Tue 10-Nov-09 10:45:11

Message withdrawn

Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 10:48:29

Yes I am a man - I sort of thought that my user name might give it away.

My point is that I am asking the tiny group of troll hunters to respect the clearly expressed views of a majority and shut the ** up.

Clear enough?

saintmaybe Tue 10-Nov-09 10:50:34

It's a particular vibe, isn't it, the men who come on here to explain patiently to us witless females how it could be if we used what little brains god gave us

Ansd so not including the lovely lovely men of mumsnet

Lol at his eager anticipation of having us set fire to his pants!

whoisasking Tue 10-Nov-09 10:50:45

I read your username as GoShit.

Just sayin'

AMumInScotland Tue 10-Nov-09 10:51:00

To answer your title question - Yes this is a community. That means a mixture of different people with a mixture of different attitudes.

And that means that you as one tiny little part of that community - do not have the right to tell everyone else that they're doing it wrong.

If you don't like what other people are posting - why don't you take your own advice and ignore it? You feel the need to express your viewpoint, to the extent of starting a new thread about it.

Why shouldn't other people be allowed to express their viewpoints, whether or not you agree with them?

AMumInScotland Tue 10-Nov-09 10:53:27

This is not the kind of "community" where people are not allowed to express minority views. You clearly have a strange view of how a community should operate, if you believe that those with an unpopular view should just "shut up" because others don't agree with them.

That's not community, it's bullying!

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 10:55:13

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:55:29

hahahahaha me too, whoisasking.

I've just spent a good few minutes trying to work out why you'd call yourself 'go shits a man'.

Do you know, I bloody hate it when people come on MN, lurk for ages, and then their first (or first for ages) post is to moan about it.

Take your own advice, and if you don't like it, off you fuck, Mr Goshits!

PyrotechnicToadstool Tue 10-Nov-09 10:59:46

hmm

posieparker Tue 10-Nov-09 11:02:36

Goshit... you have disappeared....now there's a shock.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 11:06:03

Message withdrawn

Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 11:09:49

Now what we see is exactly the problem.

"if you believe that those with an unpopular view should just "shut up" because others don't agree with them."

This is exactly the opposite of what I'm saying! The troll hunters attempt, and often succeed, in silencing posters by shouting troll, troll, troll.

"And that means that you as one tiny little part of that community - do not have the right to tell everyone else that they're doing it wrong."

Exactly the same applies to the troll hunters when they act in the way they do. You seem curiously silent on that aspect.

whoisasking Tue 10-Nov-09 11:18:49

You really do have the most patronising tone to your posts, GoShitInYourHat.

posieparker Tue 10-Nov-09 11:20:10

But it's your tone that pisses people off, OP.

An unpopular view is not silenced, but offensive and argumentative OPs are likely to get peoples backs up.

Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 11:20:27

Just a tad curious how one of the worst (previously unnamed) culprits leaps to the defence of her actions, repeats her actions and hence proves my point so much better than I could ever manage. Curious too that it is soooooo soon after the intial posting. Just how much time do you spend here??

When will the rest of your little group appear. In about as long as it takes you to log off and log back on again I suspect wink

posieparker Tue 10-Nov-09 11:21:54

You make no sense.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 11:23:35

Message withdrawn

macdoodle Tue 10-Nov-09 11:29:44

Ah bless are you cross cos all us "little women" are not listening to you??
You know what - piss off hmm
And why post this in "relationships", do you know this is where the most vulnerable members will be??

Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 11:29:45

I will try again. In my opinion and by reading other threads in the opinion of other people the small group of troll hunters that exists on Mumsnet do more harm than good.

I don't expect them to stop but if, for example, I was to seek out their posts and follow each one up with "Ignore **, her views are only representative of a tiny number of Mumsnet viewers" I predict that their support for "everybody has the right to post what they want" might start to flag!

Goshitsaman Tue 10-Nov-09 11:32:36

It is the most vulnerable members that are at most risk from the troll hunters. Exactly and 100% why I posted here.

"If the cap fits wear it"

BitOfFun Tue 10-Nov-09 11:33:05

It must be sooooo frustrating being you grin

And yes, I am on here on and off most days. I don't really go on other "newsgroups" though, and I don't repeatededly make up stories. Go and shit that then, and see who's sadder. I am extending you an invitation to give up now- you are too easy to spot.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 11:33:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now