Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relate counselling

(3 Posts)
problemsinmyrelationship Thu 05-Nov-09 18:28:55

My partner and I have been having some problems in our relationship so we are going to relate for counselling. SO far we have had an assessment session and one full session. The assessment session was good just a chance to raise our issues. the 1st real session we had we didn't really find helpful (with a different counsellor. It was just us talking with no real direction -nothing getting resolved, just talking about everything and nothing. Is that how counselling works? I didn't really know what to expect but thought that the counsellor would ask more questions and direct what we discussed. The sessions are costing a fortune and we cant really afford to pay for a block of sessions if they are not really going to be any good. SO what I'm asking really is have we got a bad counsellor or are my expectations of counselling wrong? Should we stick it out and go again next week or should we try a different organisation?

morningpaper Thu 05-Nov-09 18:43:12

Try another week but if it isn't working then ask for another counsellor. Altearntively, private therapists and counsellors may be cheaper than Relate so it's worth looking around. Not all counsellors will be right for all couples, unfortuantely.

hanaflower Fri 06-Nov-09 21:58:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now