Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are women better at parenting than men?

(11 Posts)
OrdinarySAHM Thu 05-Nov-09 12:54:58

Following on from the thread about women who leave their children I am interested to find out what most women's choice of role would be if there weren't factors which meant they couldn't make a totally free choice. I want to know if women generally, do feel held back in what they want to do by society's expectation, or if it is just a few women.

1 - Are you a SAHM or a WOHM?

2 - Is your answer to 1 your ideal choice or would you prefer the opportunity to choose the other option?

3 - Do you feel that you or your DH would be more suited to the role of primary carer?

displayuntilbestbefore Thu 05-Nov-09 12:59:46

1 - SAHM
2 - yes, ideal choice
3 - me. DH could do it but nothing in the house would ever get done I'm more inclined to be happy doing it all the time.

WoTmania Thu 05-Nov-09 13:00:23

1' SAHM
2.chose for me to SAH in the early years
3. ATM I am def better suited as stil BF 2 of my 3 DCs but generally my DH is great and does loads but I don't think (and he doesn't think) that him staying at home would be the beter option.

VinegarTitsOnFire Thu 05-Nov-09 13:02:47

1. WOHM
2. Ideal Choice for me
3. Don't have a DH/DP/OH

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 05-Nov-09 13:05:54

1. WOHM
2. Would love the opportunity to choose the other option for a year or two.
3. Me. DP wouldn't enjoy it full time. And while he is brilliant with the DCs, he isn't so good at getting anything at all done around the house whilst looking after them.

BertieBotts Thu 05-Nov-09 13:07:08

1. SAHM
2. Would prefer to work very part time, e.g. 2 afternoons a week, however if it is a straight choice between SAHM and WOHM I would choose SAHM.
3. Absolutely not, I'm probably biased as am in the process of leaving but let's face it, he has to be a bit rubbish for me to want to take DS away in the first place.

Francasaysrelax Thu 05-Nov-09 13:09:48

1 Mostly a SAHM
2 No, not out of choice. But due to several reasons, I didn't have a "career" (or a job I enjoyed/needed) to go back to after my first was born
3 Ideally we would both have been wohparents, but I def enjoy the role of primary carer more.

Bodeniiites Thu 05-Nov-09 13:10:19

1.SAHM with very short pt job
2.Personal circumstances dictate it
3.We are both good parents in different ways one couldnt do it without the other

stillfrazzled Thu 05-Nov-09 13:44:45

1 - WOHM, but working at home some of the time.

2 - More or less ideal balance.

3 - DH actually did offer! He is far more patient than me and fabulous with DS and home stuff, but earns shedloads more than me, so not really an option.

TheCrackFox Thu 05-Nov-09 13:55:02

1. SAHM
2. Not my ideal choice but financially it was the only way. Would like a PT job but they are like hen's teeth at the moment.
3. DH is pretty good with housework and the DCs but is much better at earning than me.

mollybob Thu 05-Nov-09 14:03:10

1- WOHM
2- would love to have a few years out but circumstances don't allow this
3- DH is more patient than me and fab dad - my desire to be SAHM is to do with me wanting time off the hamster wheel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now