Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I think I will leave DH.Need some practical advice please.

(6 Posts)
Monkeysmom Thu 16-Jun-05 16:50:34

I have decided to leave DH after 8 years of being together and 2 of being married.
We have a DS 14 months, and he has a daughter 14 yo from his previous relationship who is living with us.
It is a long story, I am very, very sad but the way our relationship is at the moment, I just cannot carry on. I have never been so unhappy in my whole life and the only thing I want is to be a happy mummy for my DS.
However, I need some advice on some basic separation questions that are driving me mad.
We own the house ( mortgage ) where we live. Shall I just move out in rented accommodation and sort everything out afterwards or is this a bad move and I should stay put until we sell the house ? I would honestly like to be out a.s.a.p.
Where can I get some advice regarding the house, my rights etc ? I work full time so I don’t think that I would qualify for legal aid and I just could not afford a solicitor fees. What can I do ?
On second thoughts, maybe this should be on "Legal".

aloha Thu 16-Jun-05 16:53:54

Stay put! You will need legal advice. Most solicitors will give some free or cheap time for a first consultation. Hve you discussed this with your husband?

littlerach Thu 16-Jun-05 16:54:02

Sorry to hear all this, most solicitors offer a free half hour or so, maybe they could advise you.
I think you are usually best to try and stay in the house, especially if you have a child.
Not much good at this, hopefully someone else can advise you.xx

Fran1 Thu 16-Jun-05 17:19:30

Check if your local CAB have a solicitor advice session.

I know my local one has a couple of sessions a week where you can book to see a solicitor free of charge. This is not specific to divorce though they covered all matters as far as i am aware.

lilibet Thu 16-Jun-05 17:23:30

Legal advice first! Solicitors will give a first free appointment.

I left my xh and moved into rented accommodation and then I was still liable for half the mortgage and for my rent! If the house is in joint names neither of you can force the other to move out. Think very very carefully before you move out.

soapbox Thu 16-Jun-05 17:26:01

This will be a much harder one than usual as both of you have children to take into account. I would definately take legal advice first before leaving.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: