Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

MIL: Aaaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

(14 Posts)
fisil Thu 16-Jun-05 12:20:18

What I don't understand is that the man I love most in the world, who I am so pleased to be a parent with, who makes a wonderful home with me, was brought up by this person who is driving me crazy. How did dp turn out so lovely?

Gripe 1:

DP travelled one hour each direction to pick them up from Victoria yesterday. They didn't show, call, or answer their mobile. Their coach was 1 hour late getting in, but dp had to rush back as we are v. busy. So I rushed home with both dss to be here for them. We sat on tenterhooks waiting for them, unable to go out or start anything for THREE hours. When they finally arrived I said "you must have had a nightmare journey" (It took them 4 hours to get from Victoria) and they said "no, we've been in the pub up the road."

Gripe 2: Ds1 was constantly fussed over in the bath instead of just being let to get on with it. She held his wrist constantly (and I think tightly), so when he did his usually running up and down the bath, he tripped over and cut his mouth. I know she was holding him because she didn't want him to get hurt, but in 2 1/2 years of running up and down the bath he has never drawn blood before!

Gripe 3: Ds1 went off to put ds2's clothes in the laundry basket (I'd wrestled them off MIL, cos I'm not going to suddenly let ds1 get away without doing the little jobs he usually does - and loves doing). She ran after him, holding up his towel "so he wouldn't trip over" and yes - tripping him up in the process!

Gripe 4: Ds1 did a huge poo 10 mins before bath time, so I said just to take him nappy off (he's virtually potty trained). He then decided to show off by sitting on the potty, even though he clearly had nothing left to produce. MIL & FIL then fussed over him saying "there's no pressure" and "never mind" and basically making him feel bad about sitting on the potty not doing anything - when surely the point is to make him feel good.

OK, now I've written them down I realise I look like a spoilt child. But Grrrrr. Grrrr. Grrr. I can't wait for Tuesday (123 hours to go)

Donbean Thu 16-Jun-05 12:22:34

LOL at 123 hours to go!!

compo Thu 16-Jun-05 12:22:48

Crumbs - are they staying in your house until Tuesday?!!

starshaker Thu 16-Jun-05 12:23:08

how many mins

Pinotmum Thu 16-Jun-05 12:24:17

Big sympathies. Please don't get me started on my "out-laws". Oh god I need a fag just thinking about their visits and I DON'T EVEN SMOKE!!

fisil Thu 16-Jun-05 15:26:30

Went from bad to worse. I had to go out (for a counselling session - boy did I need it by the time I got there!). So I had asked them yesterday if they'd look after ds2. We talked about it at dinner last night. I spent this morning expressing milk, and mentioned it several times. I had sorted out house keys with them and described some good walks locally and put the pushchair up.

Then I said goodbye, and MIL said "oh, are you going out? Are you leaving ds2?" I'm afraid I got round the corner and just parked up and cried for 10 minutes!

sweetmonkey Thu 16-Jun-05 15:29:32

you poor thing!!

how are you now?

teeavee Thu 16-Jun-05 15:30:37

how annoying - i feel for you, my mil, although incredibly well-meaning, can be very tactless and intrusive.She also doesn't listen to a word I say when dp is in the room. I could go on and on, but trust me, I know what you're feeling.

Try and ensure you have your own space to retreat into (I know it's your house!) for some time out

koalabear Thu 16-Jun-05 15:30:38

i'll swap my MIL for your MIL

just keep saying "give me the strength the accept the things i can not change" over and over again

or, and i learnt this from a movie (yes, very high brow i know ), grit your teeth, smile and say "i never did mind the little things" - they wont have a clue what you are talking about, but it makes you feel better

starshaker Thu 16-Jun-05 15:37:54

i personally find that repeating and snapping an elastic band on my wrist whilst saying
murder is wrong
murder is wrong

koalabear Thu 16-Jun-05 15:38:38

Pamina3 Thu 16-Jun-05 16:21:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fisil Thu 16-Jun-05 17:45:55

pmsl starshaker. I was musing this morning about how there is a word for murdering your brother, which is something I have never even contemplated, yet there is no word for the murder of in-laws, which must be the most regularly contemplated homocide!

Pamina - thanks for the offer. Dp is thankfully off work on Monday so we are all going out for the day (London Eye - glad the pods don't have windows). BTW, Ds1 has come home from nursery with a letter saying they're going to Dean City Farm for a trip next Thursday. What would you do if you were me?

Pamina3 Fri 17-Jun-05 10:20:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now