Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When I was 14 I had a 22yo boyfriend

(8 Posts)
lisbey Sun 01-Nov-09 19:04:51

Don't know what made me think about it now -was nearly 30 years ago (how is that possible?) but I was chatting to a friend about it who assumed we must have been lovers. We weren't. We did kiss, but I don't even remember any wandering hands.

I don't think it lasted very long, maybe 2-3 months and it caused my parents considerable trauma, but there was really nothing to worry about. I knew far more dangerous 15/16 yo boys TBH.

So why? What was in it for him?

Ronaldinhio Sun 01-Nov-09 19:07:18

maybe he just liked you?

I had a 20 yo boyfriend when I was 15 and nowt happened there either..

charitygirl Sun 01-Nov-09 19:07:31

Maybe you were a nice and interesting person???

FabioExtremeAngler Sun 01-Nov-09 19:09:14

He was gay.

mollybob Sun 01-Nov-09 19:09:17

maybe he wasn't ready for anything too hot and heavy either and found a younger girl less intimidating than an older one

belgo Sun 01-Nov-09 19:10:43

agree with mollybob, there are some shy and inexperienced 22 year olds around.

wannaBe Sun 01-Nov-09 19:11:03

perhaps he was immature. Perhaps he was a decent-ish bloke who respected you.

When I was fifteen I went out with a 2q year old - actually I started going out with him when I was fourteen and he was twenty. Similar to you nothing sexual happened between us. He was very immature, had never had a girlfriend (and has never had a girlfriend since me shock) but he also did not believe in sex before marriage. We went out for over a year, and during that time I suspected his mother didn't much like me. I have since come to the conclusion that she was merely concerned as I was so young.

I recently (weeks ago) was talking to him online and he told me that he was amazed we could still talk (we email maybe once every six months or so?) after having such a difficult break-up. hmm (we broke up basically because I grew up, he didn't), and it occurred to me that he actually considered the relationship with me to be a serious relationship shock and has never had another gf since shock shock

He was immature though and still is (is now 41 and still lives with his mother) but he didn't appear to have sinister intentions.

Adair Sun 01-Nov-09 19:14:06

I had a 21yr old friend-who-was-a-boy when I was 14. We didn't even kiss, though he drove me for a kind of date to the Haagen Dazs cafe in Central London... my parents knew and I think approved hmm. Looking back he obv adored me (got me thoughtful presents etc) but I was a bit blase.

I too don't get it really. I know I was mature, but really... He wasn't wildly immature either, though I guess he must have been. Maybe it was an elaborate set-up but I don't think so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now