Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just a quickie about a friendship...

(6 Posts)
purplepeony Sat 31-Oct-09 08:29:12

I had an email out of the blue from a friend from years back- we used to meet up now and then ( she lives some way from me) but we have not been in touch since our last meeting more than 2 years ago- and when we did meet then I liked her still but felt conversation was a bit stilted. Having not heard from her, I assumed she thought the same and that we were leaving it, having thought we had grown apart.

Anyway, got an email about 3 weeks back asking if I'd l ike to meet. I haven't replied as I was unsure what to say. I don't mind seeing her at all, but now that I have ignored her email for a bit it looks as if I am not very keen if I reply so late- what would you do?

bluejeans Sat 31-Oct-09 08:34:33

If you're not sure then I would probably give the friedship one more chance. I have friendships that have cooled off a bit then a year or two later we seem to have more in common again - although not always the case of course. I think the thing to see is if you have anything in common now or just end up talking about 'old times'. Make up and excuse for not getting back to her sooner then see how it goes

Feelingsensitive Sat 31-Oct-09 08:35:16

Do you want to renew this friendship?

It doesnt sound like you have fallen out so if so, just send an email apologising for the delayed response.If she still lives quite far from you maybe you won''t see much of her anyway.

purplepeony Sat 31-Oct-09 08:58:03

we only meet once a year or so- she lived abroad for many years and we just emailed etc.

I do like her- but I felt that conversation was a bit hard work last time and as I hadn't heard from her I assumed she felt the same!

bluejeans Sat 31-Oct-09 09:18:10

Probably worth giving it another go but if it's the same this time then leave it

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 31-Oct-09 09:55:40

I think if that was the first time it had felt uncomfortable then I would give it a go.
If nothing else it is always nice to catch up and find what everyone has been up to.
If you are worried about the length of time since she emailed why not tell her that you don't check that address very often anymore or something.

She probably did feel the same at the time but has maybe been thinking about you wondering what you were up to so thought she would give it a shot and try and catch up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now