Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do I get an injunction against my father?

(11 Posts)
hollynight Thu 29-Oct-09 23:31:48

My father hasnt been a part of my life for 39 years but recently he has behaved appallingly and I have discovered things I wish I hadnt. I no longer feel safe. How do I get an injunction against him? I assume I would need to involve the police? I am afraid to do that because all sorts of things could come out which I have keep secret and lots of people could get hurt.

Can someone tell me what to do? Or has anyone done a similar thing? I feel a bit at sea here.


Tortington Thu 29-Oct-09 23:33:52

are you afraid of him?

hollynight Thu 29-Oct-09 23:37:00

Not directly, I dont think, more from the people he has following me

Tortington Thu 29-Oct-09 23:41:50

if he has people following you - i would suggst it;s a police matter

hollynight Thu 29-Oct-09 23:42:46

thanks and can I get an injunction to stop it all?

onebatmother Thu 29-Oct-09 23:49:22

you must go to the police I think, both to have something on which to base the injunction, and in order to protect yourself. That sounds really scary, and they should know about it.

hollynight Thu 29-Oct-09 23:53:42

Thanks. I think I am scared about it. Yet I feel very alone and no one to share my fears with. Thanks for all your replies

duke748 Fri 30-Oct-09 12:37:07


I have considered an injunction against my father too.

In the end a police officer went round and warned him not to contact me in any way and that seems to have worked. As far a sI know, you can't go straight in for an injunction, you have to use more measured methods first. An injunction is the last step if you see what I mean.

I have also changed my name, do not have a phone number listed, am not on voters register and have moved many many miles away. All of which is to make sure he can not track me down.

He still managed to recently unfortunately.

I really do feel that I know how you feel. From the way you have worded your OP, I think my situation is very similar to mine.

I think you have to take as many steps as you can to make yourself feel safe. If its extra locks, making yourself harder to find or asking the police for help, whatever you think will help you feel safer and more able to carry on with your life without fear.


twoteachers Fri 30-Oct-09 13:57:40

I am wondering about this issue myself and I will follow this thread with interest and dread.

EldritchCleaver Fri 30-Oct-09 17:03:57

Do keep a log of all incidents and concerns(however small they may seem)and make a formal complaint to police under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, from as far back as you can remember.

You can include everything: phone calls -even silent ones- letters, being followed or having people outside your house, everything. Even actions not directed at you, like communications to other people but which make unpleasant allegations about you, for example, also count as harassment.

The police seem generally to be quite good about this kind of thing these days. They could pursue a harassment case or even an ASBO. If threats have been made, that is a criminal offence in itself.

If they won't take up your case, see a solicitor about a civil case to get an injunction yourself. Ask too about Legal Aid. A civil injunction is very effective, and if your father broke it he could be prosecuted or subjected to contempt of court proceedings.

Have patience, because sadly it may take time but if you plug away and record everything you should get somewhere.

hollynight Fri 30-Oct-09 22:21:36

thanks everyone. I really appreciate your posts. I feel very down about it all at the moment. cant get my head round it all at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now