Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

am I too picky?

(30 Posts)
beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:12:33

Not that I've had many offers since having bean, but I think I might be a bit too hard to please when it comes to men. I have broken up with, or refused to date in the first place, some really nice guys for some really stupid reasons.

writing text messages in annoying shorthand
being unable to write with a fountain pen
saying 'sort of thing' in every sentence
wanting to hold hands all the time
Not owning ANY books that I had read
wearing jeans that were a bit too short

is anyone else this picky? will I end up sad and alone?

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 15:13:25

You've got to give up on this beansmum... the weirdos are the best type!

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 15:16:41

I don't know about the book reason but the other 2 I would deffo agree with

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:17:11

I would just like someone who can read and write and talk properly, is that too much to ask? Maybe I should get over the jeans thing though.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 13-Jun-05 15:17:53

reasons 1,3, 4 and 5 are fair enough.

reasons 2 and 6 really are picky though. I find things like too-short jeans a positive point (shows he doesn't spend too much time preening).

dillydally Mon 13-Jun-05 15:18:02

I dumped someone on valentines day for dancing badly but I was 14 and that was achingly important.

I had fights with exs as valentines card have to be in red envelopes so that the postman knows I am desired
I also refuse to date too affectionate men, frequent strokers and huggers are not my type
It is music with me more than books - if the man in question played Elton John to me as foreplay music I would have my coat on before the chorus

Am I as picky as you?
I am also very single.

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 15:18:21

In this day and age B....hmm....! Tough one that is, try hanging around at private school re-unions wearing a little black dress

Iklboo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:20:52

Wouldn't be so hard on the books issue - it can give you loads to talk about. You can recommend books you've read & vice versa. Worked for me and DH. Fountain pens can be a bit tricky - there's not much practice in them these days to be honest. Definitely a no no on the text shorthand though and the half mast jeans. And the holdy hands and 'sort of thing' would get annoying after a while.
Er...you don't go on the first date armed with a lot of questions on these do you

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 15:21:58

I like cuddly men. Just had to say that as you're all dissing them!

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:24:07

I've read thousands of books, how could you not own at least one of them?

and even if you had never used a fountain pen before surely it would take a normal person about 2 seconds to work it out?

I have a big list of questions and wont go on a date with someone until they've answered them all!

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:25:03

I like cuddly men too, just not men who can't walk halfway down the street without hand holding or stopping to kiss you or just being ANNOYING!

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 15:25:34

B have you tried girls? Honestly they're not as annoying.

gothicmama Mon 13-Jun-05 15:26:29

i dumped someone once for wearing a dodgy jumper
i am so shallow

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:27:19

I'm just wondering about this because I got a text from a guy I met on saturday and there were no vowels in it. so I'm not going to reply.

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:27:40

I think if you really fall for someone you overlook the fact that they wear their jeans too short (or you tell them a little bit into the relationship)!!!

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:28:27

maybe you should relpy and on your date say you hate text speak!! You might be passing up Mr Right!!!

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 15:28:59

I still think the girls option. Lol

dillydally Mon 13-Jun-05 15:30:03

Or reply with no vowels in a way he cant understand to see if can pick up a very subtle hint? perhaps
H hw y dng? gd 2 c y n strdy?

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:30:07

I don't fancy girls though. might have to give it a go anyway, men are too annoying

Iklboo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:31:14

Cor...that's tricky. He might have read thousands of books YOU don't own? (Granted you might not want to read every back issue of the Beano annual). He might be able to use tools & utensils you can't? A "normal" (that's a subjective word) probably cuod work out how to use one, but think 'It's 2005, why would I still need to use a fountain pen?'
I'm playing devils advocate here - I can understand your POV.

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 15:31:36

you could reply in normal language 'please repeat, I don't understand your text-speak' lol

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 15:33:02

he was too old for me anyway, and I wont be able to get a babysitter for another 6 months or so.

dillydally Mon 13-Jun-05 15:36:12

Now the mists clear as text speak is best spoken by those 25 and under
<runs and hides under harry potters cloak of invisibility>

otto Mon 13-Jun-05 15:37:19

If you really liked any of these men you wouldn't mind about the length of their jeans or about which books they'd read. If you're happy on your own then stay that way until somebody you really like comes along. I used to be picky but the right person did turn up in the end.

Chuffed Mon 13-Jun-05 15:37:55

totally get it beansmum.
My mum once gave me a fax which had a lonely old woman sitting on a park bench with a blurb that said waiting for Mr Perfect - my point was that the person had to be perfect for me.
I stopped dating a guy in 95/96 (can't quite remember) who wore slightly tapered jeans with boat shoes (a pet peeve of mine).
If these things are important to you then they are important and will bug you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now