Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Need Advice For My Daughter

(3 Posts)
honeysucklecottage Tue 20-Oct-09 13:35:20

I would like advice for my daughter. She brought a house from the housing assosiation with her boyfriend they had a daughter together at the time she was 3 to 4 years old. The boyfriend left 4 years later after my daughter got a loan to pay his county court fines and pay for the car he left with.
He threatened to kill my daughter if she did not leave the house with my grandaughter he was arrested and cautioned.

All these years shes struggled to pay the morgage and the debts he left her with. The boyfriend only paid child support when the csa caught up with him, but then changed his job, he owes my daughter £4000 in arrears. She never had the income to change the morgage.

My grandaughter has learning difficulties and worked hard to get into college. For her 18th biirthday she was informed by her fathers solicetor that he wanted the house sold and they had to get out.
This is where we are at the moment.
We can get a mortgage for the property and have asked the boyfriends solicetor what money he wants, but he just sends that he is going to court and the house will have to be sold. He has told my grand daughter
he is entitled to half the house profits

Can you please advise me what my daughter can do, as he just seems to want them both homeless.


MadameDigestive Tue 20-Oct-09 13:37:40

I think, but I am no expert, that if you offer to buy him out and he refuses, he would get nowhere in court re forcing a sale.

But maybe better to post this in legal?

LisaD1 Tue 20-Oct-09 13:42:21

I think, but am not 100% sure, that your daughter can get the house valued (I would get a couple of valuations) and then make him a written offer, via his solicitor, for half of the equity that is in the house. If he declines I don't think he will get too far in a court! I would also advise your daughter to get herself some legal help as there may be a way to deduct the maintenance arrears from the final bill.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: