Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

advice on immigrating to another country with children after divorce

(7 Posts)
iva555 Sun 18-Oct-09 18:40:48

Hi,

me and my husband have separated for 8 months now and will get divorced soon. I have a four year old daughter and am thinking of going to live with her somewhere else. Is that possible? Would the court allow it?

ramonaquimby Sun 18-Oct-09 18:44:56

how would you feel if your ex had custody and he wanted to emigrate?

iva555 Sun 18-Oct-09 18:57:42

I know it sounds unfair.....but what if I don't want to live in the UK all my life? I suppose I would have to wait until my daughter grows up.

TokenFemale Sun 18-Oct-09 19:06:23

If your husband has parentla responsibility then yes, he can stop you emigrating. The courts would decide on the basis of the reason for he move.
i.e. if you are moving to be near family to give you support that you need they may be sympathetic.

alison56 Sun 18-Oct-09 19:13:38

I think it's very unfair on both parties to take her abroad.

Sorry, prob not what you came here to hear.

You may well wish you could go and live abroad but I think you've got to wait until she's older as she may well end up resenting you.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Sun 18-Oct-09 22:52:01

Where are you considering moving to? In the EU or outside?

Do you know this country inside out? Is it suitable for you and your child. Holidays DON'T count, they are as far away from the reality of actually living there as you could possibly ever imagine.

Are single parents treated well there?

Where would your child be educated? would that education be recognised back in the UK.

Unless you have previously spent a considerable amount of time already in that country, or have an immense and extremely willing network of support, don't consider it.

Think LONG and hard before you consider taking a daughter from her father and a father from his daughter.

iva555 Mon 19-Oct-09 17:40:59

Thanks to all of you! I think you are probably right and maybe I should wait until she is much older and can have an opinion herself whether she wants to stay here or move away. I was thinking about America but not sure anymore if it is a good idea because I do have lots of support here and friends. Thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now