Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How did your DH propose? Or was it you who did?

(36 Posts)
aurynne Sat 17-Oct-09 09:28:37

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a melancholic Saturday evening, far away from my DP, and would love to hear some romantic stories.

So this one goes for those of you who are married. Who proposed? How, when and in which circumstances did it happen? Any funny/uncommon story to share?

And before someone jumps at me, no, I'm not a "journo"

Hugs to all!

Aurynne

purepurple Sat 17-Oct-09 09:33:21

We had been out for the night. Got back to his flat. He then asked me to marry him. He then left me to think about my answer while he went to get an Indian takeaway from the restaurant downstairs.
grin
I said yes, I was 19.
That was 22 years ago.
By the time we got married we had been together a year.

GentleOtter Sat 17-Oct-09 09:46:28

We were shifting cows.

Somehow, I got swept away with romance and glamour of the situation and said to dh that we should get married. He replied 'Aye' and that was that.

VenusInfers Sat 17-Oct-09 09:53:58

My then boyfriend took me for a Sunday drive to Lyme Regis. It was a windy day in early March. We walked along the foreshore and then onto the cob. We walked to the end and then clambered down on to the sheltered side to sit on a bench facing the shore. He then actually popped down on one knee to propose. It was all very romantic. I said yes, confirmed that I understood the question and really meant yes, then we went for a fish and chip lunch. {grin}

Prinnie Sat 17-Oct-09 09:57:32

My DH went down on one knee in the middle of Cafe Rouge in Solihull it was great - but before we'd had main courses and then I was so excited I couldn't eat mine!

aurynne Sat 17-Oct-09 10:01:50

LOL at GentleOtter's romance and glamour!

upahill Sat 17-Oct-09 14:28:42

DH and I had been together for 6 years when DSno1 was born. I wasn't fussed about getting married by DH would have liked it. Anyway he went to register birth of DS on his way to work but rang me upto say 'I can't register A because we are not married anyhow I thought we might as well get hitched. I've given them a cheque - what date do you want?' and then gave me my options!! Still makes me laugh 13 years later!
However he still laughs when I say the most romantic thing he done for me was buy some Iron Maiden tickets as a surprise!( I mean it. It was a fantastic surprise as I organize all the nights out generally)

frakula Sat 17-Oct-09 14:36:13

By the Eiffel Tower (which is nowhere near as glam as it sounds because I lived just around the corner from it anyway). It sounds so conventional compared to everyone else!

theghastlyspectreoflissielou Sat 17-Oct-09 14:50:33

i finished work at 3am on new years eve/day and got a 30 min taxi ride to my then bf's house. by gthe time i got there he was hammered and i could see him asleep on the sofa. didnt have a key or any cash (he was paying - for taxi, not me) so knocked the door. rang the bell. knocked window. in the meantime driver is getting v pissed off so i ask him to take me to cash point. all cash points are empty. find a usable point. go back to bf's and its about 5am. bang on door til 6am when he finally stirs. he lets me in and i start screaming that i hate him, he is a waste of space and a crap boyfriend he replies with "well you wont be wanting this then will you?" and flings box on coffee table. i burst into tears and he got down on one knee.

not very romatic, but in its way it was perfect (but i did make him buy me some new shoes too wink)

raisedincare Sat 17-Oct-09 15:44:29

Message withdrawn

BiteOfFun Sat 17-Oct-09 16:22:10

Extended, is that you? grin

RealityBites Sat 17-Oct-09 16:23:25

Message withdrawn

BiteOfFun Sat 17-Oct-09 16:26:44

We've missed you- is there a new blog we can read?

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 17-Oct-09 20:15:40

He sent me a text message by accident. And he also proposed by text... which would have been a bit shit if it wasn't our 'thing', obviously grin

BikeRunSki Sat 17-Oct-09 20:28:41

DH in corner of room in rented flat in Newcastle, fiddling with bike: When we're a bit more settled, d you suppose we could get married ?

Me, visiting from Sheffield: I suppose so.

He was a postgrad student and I had just started work after months of unemployment, so we had v little money. We had been married for 5 years when I got an engagement ring.

I knew that I was going to marry DH when I met him about 10 months earlier. I have no idea why, I just did. So when he actually asked me, to me it was no big deal - it was more of a done deal in my mind, hence my lack of enthusiasm.

Took a few more months to get settled/jobs in same-ish place.

DS was born 11 years to the day that we met. Weird - especially as he was early.

UndeadLentil Sat 17-Oct-09 20:38:03

He woke me up on our anniversary and said we were going into London for a nice breakfast.
I don't make any decisions before eating so this was a wise move.

Later, we walked up Primrose Hill, stopping to buy a take-away cup of tea at the bottom of it. Behind us, a Rastafarian bloke and his little dog were having a walk too.

When DH proposed, I was so excited I started doing star jumps. blush

The dog decided to join in the kerfuffle and, when he spotted the drink, lost the plot altogether and bit DP on the leg. grin

Up slopes his owner who said: 'Don't worry. That dog just love tea.' grin

ABetaDad Sat 17-Oct-09 20:39:47

We stood on the banks of the Cherwell river in Oxford. It was a summer evening and the sun was just going downover the meadows. DW in a beautiful ball gown and me in black tie. I had a bottle of champagne inside me and another one in my hand (just in case she said no) and I whispered in her ear "Would you do me the honour of marrying me?"

She said yes, we kissed and that was it - we got the ring a month later and married 2 years later. That was about 21 years ago.

We both knew it was going to happen at some stage - but it was nice to do it in a formal way on a nice day. smile

southeastastra Sat 17-Oct-09 20:40:50

i have never been propsed to and have been with 20 years i think he's scared of committment

pippylongstockings Sat 17-Oct-09 20:41:05

My DP and I have been together for 19 years - it's my 40th next month so just the other day he said to me 'I have to talk to you about your birthday' while we were putting the kids to bed .

And then later said 'I can't organise a wedding without you knowing!'

So after a couple of checks that he really meant this as a proposal - we have now been organising our wedding quickly and in secret from our families. We are running off to get married next month.

UndeadLentil Sat 17-Oct-09 20:48:33

Pippy - how lovely. Have you made any plans yet? smile

And would you consider asking him yourself SEA?
20 years is a huge commitment with or without a proposal.

The bottle of champagne inside you sounds like a key part of the plan ABetaDad.

PandaG Sat 17-Oct-09 20:56:30

then DH proposed while sitting in his bedroom at his parents, suggesting getting engaged for my 18th. I said it was too soon.

A year later he suggested getting engaged for my 19th - my birthday is in September and we were about to start at different universities. I said that I thought I wanted to marry him, but wasn't sure what being apart would do to our relationship, so wasn't saying no but wait.

6 weeks into our first term, I knew it was right - went to visit him at his uni and said, 'If the offer still stands, I would really like to marry you'

Announced opur engagement Christmas hols of our first year, got married as soon as we graduated, now 16 years and 2 DC later!

chickbean Sat 17-Oct-09 20:56:57

gringringringringringrin

DH and I had our first date on Halloween - on the beach at Holkham in Norfolk. He proposed on our "anniversary" 3 years later on the same beach.

Our most romantic date, however, was our first Valentine's Day when he took me to the same beach to see the sun rise with a flask of coffee and croissants.

PandaG Sat 17-Oct-09 20:57:34

meant to read then bf - he is now DH!

mrmump Sat 17-Oct-09 21:04:35

DH: "what shall we do for your 30th birthday?"
Me: "Well I really want to be married before I'm 30"
DH: "Ok lets do it then. If we get married, can I have a new motorbike?"

Now THATS romancegrin Been together now for 8 years, two DC and married for 2 years. And we got married the day before my 30th.

pippylongstockings Sat 17-Oct-09 21:04:47

SEA propose yourself if you want it - I must admit to badgering DP a small amount before the' proposal' per se.

I am not bothered by the wedding big fancy day part. I just wanted to be his wife and have the same name as the rest of my family.

As I say we are going off just the two of us and geting hitched we will tell the family and kids after - it's about us as a couple not anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now