Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Now I know why I have issues with men.

(12 Posts)
poshsinglemum Fri 09-Oct-09 23:39:23

My mum overdosed on her medication this evening. Not massively but enough to make her feel ill and phone an ambulance. DD and I are staying over the night.
She was feeling groggy on the phone and calling for my dad. He refused to get out of bed as he is tiired and has work the next day. he told her to go back to bed and to stop being hysterical as she has always been hysterical. (She has bipolar)
I yelled at him to stop being so unsupportive and help me to help mum as I needed to look after baby dd. I also called him lazy as I was so angry. He flew into a rage and came at me and dd. I said I would call the police if he touched me and dd so he flew down the stairs at my mum but didn't hit her. I called him an abusive man. He just can't cope with her bipolar. Poor dd was confused.
Ambulance men are here. Dad accused me of having a temper. I wonder where I get it from.

My dad for example, is a prick.
And for all you mnetters who think I'm a drama queen - now you know where I get it from too.

This is all too frequent an occurence in my parent's house.

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Fri 09-Oct-09 23:41:59

Poor you, and your poor Mum.

Knickers0nMahead Fri 09-Oct-09 23:43:16

sad

Hope your mum is ok.

Cometrickortreatingwithme Fri 09-Oct-09 23:43:48

I'm sorry hope you are all ok.

I am starting to think a lot of men are pricks lately .

poshsinglemum Fri 09-Oct-09 23:44:48

she's ok. in lounge with theambulance men and my quietly scowling dad. she's conscious but groggy.

i would have left him ages ago.

kneedeepinthedirtylaundry Fri 09-Oct-09 23:45:47

I don't think that responding to extreme reactions with a matching reaction is being a drama queen. Hope your mum recovers quickly and the a bit of peace is established in the house.

poshsinglemum Fri 09-Oct-09 23:45:56

they are worse than useless at times.

poshsinglemum Fri 09-Oct-09 23:52:11

She's gone to hospital to be monitored. Dad is following her in car. I think the strain of it all made him snap.

prettyfly1 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:11:17

I think that living with bi-polar is one of the hardest things in the world and he is possibly at the end of his tether. I dont think that you two screaming at one another was probably helpful at that point in time. I can however understand how it would get to that and hope your mum feels a bit better soon.

poshsinglemum Sat 10-Oct-09 14:19:35

Yes- dad and I were both being stupid last night. Mum is absolutely fine but tired.It was an accident. Her memory is failing her and she forgot that she had taken one round of tablets and took another. She's on about six different types including beta blockers and anti-diabetic meds.
Poor mum. It wasn't a suicide attempt thogh. Mum definately has the will to live which is great.

6feetundertheGroundhogs Sun 11-Oct-09 16:54:17

Oh god poor you, poor all of you.

Hoping all recovered now?

Can you get her one of those pill organiser thingies, so she can tell what she's taken when... I get confused over if I've taken my sodding vitamins FGS, and I'm not bi-polar... taking meds for me would be a nightmare...

Hoping all better.

ABetaDad Sun 11-Oct-09 17:03:27

poshsinglemum - I met a woman with bipolar a few weeks ago. I interviewed her in the presence of her psyciatric nurse about some financial issues she had to deal with. It was one of the hardest things I had ever done. The woman went from tearful to cheerful to rational to self doubting and helpless and back again in 5 minutes.

I talked to her again on the phone the following day and she was perfectly stable and outwardly sounded completely well.

Does your Dad have any kind of profesisonal assistance like the woman I met seemed to have? It must be impossibly hard to live with someone like that 24 hours a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now