Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What should I do?

(7 Posts)
katiepea Sun 04-Oct-09 22:17:33

I am about to get divorced, (his unreasonable behaviour)and have agreed to "buy out" my soon to be ex-dh for a rather large sum of money. (I am going to have to work for a very long time to pay it back, never mind the money from my parents). My dh is in very real danger of being sacked and will therefore, he says, be unable to pay me any maintenance. Am I being unreasonable to expect him to pay something out of the money I am giving him? He says it is for a house. He is moving back in with his mum, and is unlikely to get a mortgage anyway if he is out of work. Should I push this or just be glad that he is out of my life?

megmums Sun 04-Oct-09 22:19:31

I would expect some child maintenance if he is working, not sure what the rules are with savings etc.. if unemployed. I would contact the CSA to fins out. Good luck.

CarGirl Sun 04-Oct-09 22:19:46

Do you have children??

If so you can postpone the settlement until your children are adults because they need to be housed.

katiepea Sun 04-Oct-09 22:28:03

We are living separate under same roof. He won't move out until he has the money in his hands. I don't really want anything to delay him going.

I have two boys, who are staying with me. He has not fought for custody so as to keep things friendly!

Just feel scared now. Maintenance is a large chunk of our income to lose.

CarGirl Sun 04-Oct-09 22:35:05

Have you had ANY legal advice? He is pulling one on you.

Unless you are overaccommodated and could downsize to release equity there is no obligation for you to give him money until the youngest is 16/left full time education and they no longer need to be housed.

You need proper advice from CAB/Legal aid family solicitor urgently.

katiepea Sun 04-Oct-09 22:40:50

I have a solicitor, but went against fighting with him, (their advice) for a quick result, if you know what I mean? Just feel its typical of him to get sacked now!

We get the decree nisi on Thursday, so do need to do something urgently!

CarGirl Sun 04-Oct-09 22:44:02

Yes tell him that you can no longer afford to give him the financial settlement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: