Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should i?

(15 Posts)
Itsaname Mon 28-Sep-09 08:52:20

Start something with someone who is 15 years my junior?

I'm 37, he's 22 and whereas I dont feel the age difference when we're together, I do think about it when we're not.

I know it's not going to develop into anything other than sex, but am I being really weird to even consider that?

Just wanted quick straw poll answers really so I know if people will be laughing at me behind my back

HappyWoman Mon 28-Sep-09 10:20:12

As long as you are not hurting anyone else - go for it.

It may not develop any further but if you dont do it you may regret.

Does he have concerns about the gap?

SheWillBeLoved Mon 28-Sep-09 12:08:41

Laughing at you? More like envy rather than grin

Have fun..!

groundhogs Mon 28-Sep-09 16:00:22

As long as you are not hurting anyone by it, go for it, I agree!

As long as he's not in need of anything other than you... visa, money etc... go for it!

If it's only for sex, and you are concerned that others may think odd of you, then no need to go shouting it from the roof tops.

A friend of mine has a young friend, but he's only for the sex, not for going out, she thinks it looks odd.

mankymummymoo Mon 28-Sep-09 16:03:21

My DP is 11 years younger than me, no-one laughs at us (as far as Im aware hmm.

neversaydie Mon 28-Sep-09 17:21:09

I was in a very similar situation to yours once. We were both brave enough to take things forward (and it took some courage.) We will have been married 14 years in October, have a 10-year-old son and are still pretty devoted to one another. No-one ever comments on the age gap.

Madascheese Mon 28-Sep-09 17:55:36

Hi, as the others have said, so long as it's an equal partnership of whatever nature, go for it, enjoy it. Suspect that as you notice it when you're apart rather than together there is a self esteem issue that great sex with a younger man would really help!

The first chat up I had after I split with exh was from a very cute 19 year old barman (I was 36 at the time) It did WONDERS for my self esteem and I started to understand that I was not just reasonably attractive but actually desirable (had been sadly lacking previously)

Enjoy!
xMad

Itsaname Mon 28-Sep-09 18:45:09

Thanks all! grinning already

mrsboogie Mon 28-Sep-09 19:09:40

me too, have a partner 13 my junior. No-one ever comments and it is the best relationship I have ever had. Have been together 6 years and have a 1 yr old DS. It was never meant to be anything more than a shag buddy thing either!

I accept that it may end one day because of the age gap just like any relationship can end for any one of a million reasons. In the meantime I will have had several very happy years and a beautiful son!

overmydeadbody Mon 28-Sep-09 19:11:34

If it's just sex then the only things to consider are whether or not you are both having fun and enjoying it and not hurting anyone else. If you are having fun and you're not hurting anyone then go for it.

nothing wrong with a toy boy wink

overmydeadbody Mon 28-Sep-09 19:13:08

People won't be laughing.

Will people even know, if it's just a sex buddy thing anyway?

Portofino Mon 28-Sep-09 19:34:12

As long as I can too! grin I have a few on my wish list...<<deep sigh>>

Itsaname Mon 28-Sep-09 19:39:14

We've only met up once, but he wants to meet again so now i will!

He can't be after my money as I dont have any!

Hooray - it's knocked 10 years off me already!

Madascheese Mon 28-Sep-09 19:42:51

Itsaname, returning ot this thread and reading your last comment has raised my first proper smile today. I'm chuffed to bits for you

xMad

geekdad Tue 29-Sep-09 12:11:31

Just ended a relationship with a 26 year old (I'm 42). The age difference wasn't the problem. I didn't feel that it mattered at all, and neither did she. If you have things in common, then who cares? Sure, we made jokes about it, but I honestly don't think that it made any difference to our relationship. She actually thought I was 32 when we first met grin, so maybe that helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now