Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My SIL is hard work have tried to be her friend but now biting my tongue as

(13 Posts)
morningstar Thu 17-Sep-09 20:03:14

she is very jealous of my son and shouts and moans at him in front of me,she tries to make everything into a competion which I dont compete or feel the need to .she keeps making sarcastic remarks and its getting to the stage where I dont want to be around her or at family functions my MIL backs me up but one of these days I will flip my lid as I have been so tolerent of her.what should I do as I dont want to rock the boat and upset Bil and all concerned but I dread this and im a nice person, but would I be better just to ignore her and let her get on with it.

ReducedToThis Thu 17-Sep-09 20:08:34

Are you jealous of her though?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 17-Sep-09 20:11:40

I would ignore the competition and sarcastic remarks.

I would say something about her having a go at your son though - what are her reasons?

She sounds awful.

Niftyblue Thu 17-Sep-09 20:11:58

What excatly does she say?

morningstar Thu 17-Sep-09 20:12:43

No defiantly not {smile}

Tinkerisdead Thu 17-Sep-09 20:13:14

I have maaaajor SIL issues, I've always kept my mouth shut and held the moral high ground. SIL got really worked up once and wished me dead in childbirth and since then I havent spoken to her other than to be civil. Like you, everyone backed me up, but now my silence is deafening. I dont need to have a rant or rock the boat. I gave her enough rope and she hung herself for all to see.

people on here recommended that I have it out with her though but i just didnt feel I could. I get on ok with my MIL etc and didnt want to get into a showdown. I just ignore ignore ignore and then she always comes across as the one goading me.

morningstar Thu 17-Sep-09 20:16:27

she went to hit my son once and my fil interveaned as he saw my face ,she has been rude to mil and she picks on my son as he is the eldest even when he hasn't done anything wrong she will shout at him, at present she has left him alone but started to put me down and make sarcastic remarks about decisions ive made or things im going to do.

ReducedToThis Thu 17-Sep-09 20:19:09

Go on Jerry Springer and get it sorted. Properly. grin

morningstar Thu 17-Sep-09 20:20:08

She has shown her true colours to them already,I dont understand her she is like a jekell and hyde you either like someone or dont and she is nice one minute horrible the next and im not used to people like that.

2rebecca Thu 17-Sep-09 21:34:37

And you keep seeing her why?
If you keep going back for more you're as much to blame as she is.
Just keep away from her, you obviously don't like her.
You don't need to make a scene or flip your lid you just find something better to do with your time.

groundhogs Thu 17-Sep-09 23:15:30

yep, agree, keep away from her, she's toxic! If MIL and FIL have been allies in the past, they will be in the future...

Draw a line and keep her far from your DS... she sounds awful, and if a SIL ever even looked like she'd hit my DS... she'd be being measured for a pine box!

morningstar Fri 18-Sep-09 10:16:59

Thanks everyone for your comments, I dont plan to see her its just she and I have to go to family do's and I cant really not go that would effect my children, I will say hello to her and be civil but then stay out of her weay,your right I dont like her and I dont trust her round my kids.

2rebecca Fri 18-Sep-09 21:53:28

There aren't that many family dos really though. You mainly have to attend weddings, funerals, christenings/ naming ceremonies and big birthdays/ big wedding anniversaries. There isn't usually more than 1 or 2 of these a year, and that's if you have a big family.
For Christmas etc you just arrange to see other members of husband's family when SIL isn't there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now