Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When I move house...

(13 Posts)
SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 16:04:52

.. am I under any legal obligation to tell dd's 'father' that we have moved to, and where?

He has had no contact with dd or me for over 2 years.

I would like to give dd the opportunity to text him and tell him, if she would like to - but do we have to?

GypsyMoth Thu 17-Sep-09 16:16:10

No you don't.

If he was interested you'd be hearing from him

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 16:24:39

Lovely grin

That's what I wanted you to say.

diddl Thu 17-Sep-09 16:50:56

If he is on the birth certificate he may have a legal right to know.

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 17:04:07

He is on the birth certificate, but we were never married. And I had dd in 1997. Is that relevant do you know?

diddl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:17:13

Ithought if he was on the birth certificate he had parental rights.

But I think it´s only if you´re married that he gets this.

I assume though that if he´s on the BC he should be supporting financially.

It might be worth checking with the CAB.

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 17:21:07

Oh he supports financially via a deduction to earnings order on his wages hmm

I'm pretty sure that he has no parental rights unless he has ever signed the relevant form after we split, which he never did. And I think that the year dd was born is relevant because I may have heard that the law changed since then.

I'm happy for dd to contact him if she wants to, but I'm also sure she won't get a response, so I'd rather she didn't have to go through it again iykwim.

overmydeadbody Thu 17-Sep-09 17:21:34

Well it's up to him to keep in contact if he wants to.

My DS's father has had no contact for four years. He never bothered to give me a new mobile number or an address, so when I moved I had no way of contacting him even if I had wanted to. So now he doesn't know where we live and that's fine by me!

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 17:25:09

Yep, overmydeadbody that's how I would prefer it. I do think that after 2 years, if he was going to make any contact, he would have done so by now.

diddl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:26:16

I think he has no rights unless he signed a "Parental Rights Agreement".

But it might be best to check so that you don´t put yourself in the wrong.

It sounds as if he isn´t interested at all in your daughter, but might he try to cause trouble if you did something "wrong"?

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 19:38:21

I can never really be sure diddl. He would like the idea of causing trouble, but I suspect he would be arsed grin

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 17-Sep-09 19:38:56

Erm... wouldn't be arsed smile

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Thu 17-Sep-09 19:40:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: