Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

After a year of unemployment, finally not one job offer but two - but which would you choose?

(6 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 08-Sep-09 12:52:05

Like buses, jobs obviously come in twos! It has been a horrendous year of worrying and fruitless interviewing etc for my DH, and literally in the last 2 days, he has 2 different job offers. Job 1 is something interesting and potentially exciting, but riskier as it is a start-up. Job 2 is safer and more sure, and he already knows many of the people there (though he doesn't like any of them, a very unusual situation for him as he generally gets on with everyone).

There is a money offer for job 1 that is OK (not great but it's a recession...), and we are waiting for a money offer for job 2 that we assume at the moment will be a roughly similar amount.

I realise it's not much to go on the way I've described it here but I'd really like to know what your gut reactions are. Job 1 is something that DH is very excited about, having never really had the chance to do a job he is really 'into' before. He would get more responsibility, we think, and it could use many different skills. I hate the fact that he has never yet enjoyed a single job he has had and feel this could be his chance. But it is a riskier bet. Job 2 is something he would enjoy a certain amount, but he doesn't like the people. But it would be safer. We have been hoping to start a family soon and obviously security is important. My own job is something I love but is not completely secure.

Thoughts, anyone?

CountessDracula Tue 08-Sep-09 12:53:50

I would go for Job 1
There is no guarantee of security in any job esp at the moment. It sounds like it would look better on his CV and give him good experience for future jobs even if it doesn't work

CMOTdibbler Tue 08-Sep-09 12:55:39

Job 1 - if he doesn't like the people at job 2 it will always be awful to work there

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 08-Sep-09 12:56:50

What are the risks? Is he investing in job one? Or just the risk that the job may go kaput in the future/he may not get paid regularly? I first thought job two (security) but then actually would say job one, as long as the risk is minimal.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 08-Sep-09 12:58:12

Thanks Countess and dibbler! That's an excellent point about nothing being secure at the moment. My gut reaction I have to say is Job 1, I am so keen for him to head out of the door in the mornings with enthusiasm. And building the CV/getting good experience is worth its weight in gold no matter what.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 08-Sep-09 12:59:38

Yes kat, risk is only of losing the job, nothing financial invested. I think probably after this last year we are both nervous of having to go back out on the job market again - once bitten twice shy. But there is no more risk involved than that.

We have survived a long job-search before, so I guess we could do it again... (!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now