Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My DPs criminal record could affect my sisters career, what does she expect me to do?!

(22 Posts)
anuvaname Mon 07-Sep-09 10:49:31

At the mo my sister is doing a degree and after wants to work in a prison doing forensic psychologist stuff but as my DP who im engaged to has a criminal record it may affect her doing that.
She text me out the blue last night and said if you marry DP then it could stop me fullfilling my career. Why did she have to text me this? What does she expect me to do? Not marry him? Ahhhhh just had to have a rant...

potplant Mon 07-Sep-09 10:51:34

I don't see the connection. What has your DP got to do with your sister?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 07-Sep-09 10:52:33

It won't. I worked for the police authority and my father was a big criminal. I agreed to have no contact with him while I worked there. Had the same with the MOD.

She may have minimal or no contact with him but it really depends on whether he is an active criminal or not and how recent the record.

aRLcat Mon 07-Sep-09 10:53:58

FWIW, what your sister has said is quite possibly rubbish! Your DP is too far removed from her for it to have any effect upon her career.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 10:54:47

Don't think there is a problem, tbh. I know someone who works as an analyst for GCHQ, her husband has a criminal record, as long as it is disclosed there is no issue.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 07-Sep-09 10:54:51

Rather over dramatic....

Think you need to find out the criteria. Can't imagine that there would be a difference between him being your DP or DH.

And would depend on the type of crime.

anuvaname Mon 07-Sep-09 10:57:14

i thought it wouldnt make a difference coz hes not immediate family, she replied once were married he will be my family and so will be picked up in the check, it may make a difference or may not, she was just letting me know. I dont see why i really needed to know its just made me feel bad and makes me feel angry that shes putting that on me!

Hulababy Mon 07-Sep-09 10:58:44

It shouldn't do.

I suppose it depends on how active, type of crime, if she is likely to deal with him at work and how close she is to him.

But members of my non immediate family have records, including active, and it didn't affect me when I was working in a prison with high security prisoners.

When one of my cousin's sons was in my prison I had to make the govenor aware and they then make a judgement of whether to leave it, move him or move me.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 07-Sep-09 11:00:26

Ask her who is doing the check and to see the criteria.

morningpaper Mon 07-Sep-09 11:01:55

These things are only really a problem if you are, say, joining MI5 and your brother was, say, Gerry Adams. She is being hysterical.

I think unless you all live in the same house then its very unlikely to make a difference. CRB checks only ask about members of the same household. I guess some jobs may be more rigarous than that and check mroe people but I'm sure that the connection is not strong enough to make a difference. I think your sister is being an arse for texting you that, what does she expect you to do, not marry him?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 07-Sep-09 11:05:12

I think she is being very childish tbh.

Maybe she hates our DP and just doesn't wasn't you to marry him.

TBH someone who is so highly strung may not cope with that kind of work.

sherby Mon 07-Sep-09 11:06:28

lol at mp

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 11:07:08

Tell her to check her facts before she sends hypothetical texts.

anuvaname Mon 07-Sep-09 11:09:46

she text me this morning to apologise but still

4andnotout Mon 07-Sep-09 11:10:16

My dp has a criminal record (it's all spent and from 15+ years ago) which comes up on his CRB check and it hasn't affected my parent's fostering. I wouldn't have thought it will make any difference to her career at all.

spicemonster Mon 07-Sep-09 11:10:54

What a silly woman. Tell her that if she wants to do forensics, it's important that she checks the facts before she goes making suppositions.

LadyStealthPolarBear Mon 07-Sep-09 11:11:21

I don't think it'll be a CRB check, it'll be a security clearance thing under the Official Secrets Act, and yes, it may do. Still can't imagine what she expects him/you to do!

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 11:11:53

She's jumping to a few conclusions there. As well as being completely ridiculous!

When my sister's partner got his current job, the whole family were vetted (he's an IT contractor working for a bit of the Foreign Office). So being married or not doesn't make a ha'porth of difference for some forms of checking.

I was quite disappointed none of us were picked out as interesting - OK, we don't have records but we have been on plenty of demos. grin Obviously need to work on my left-wing political agitator credentials.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 11:12:35

Oh, forgot, one member of the family does have a record from long, long ago (got a fine). Wasn't a problem.

anuvaname Mon 07-Sep-09 11:13:55

Thanks for all ur comments, i feel a lot better now. Dont want this to turn into a slagging my sister match though ;-)
I dont know much about this sort of career so this is much appreciated

oldraver Mon 07-Sep-09 11:21:17

My son is in his second year of Criminolgy/Psycology so could go into similar field as your DS. His Tutor is a well renowned and published Criminal psycologist.... and an ex con

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now