Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What Katie did next.....

(28 Posts)
helpmeoutofthismess Sun 06-Sep-09 22:35:54

Don't get me wrong- I'm actually an educated person, but I do have a weak spot for trashy tv! blush

In the middle of going through a horrible, hurtful separation myself that is totally outwith my control, and facing life now as a single mum unexpectantly, I do feel some empathy and sympathy for Jordan and think that she gets a bad press.

Don't you think the whole thing must be soo much easier to handle if you're a millionaire though?

Any thoughts? (thought it might lighten the mood)!

Fluffypoms Sun 06-Sep-09 22:38:09

Ofcourse it is easier.

expatinscotland Sun 06-Sep-09 22:44:28

i can't abide this gal.

helpmeoutofthismess Sun 06-Sep-09 22:47:22

Cringing already at myself for starting this thread! Need to find better ways to spend my time now DH moved out...

abouteve Sun 06-Sep-09 22:54:32

Don't see how you can empathize with this girl at all. I cannot even bear to watch this stuff.

You presumably are not a millionaire that sells every part of your private life.

Sorry but I hate even hearing her voice on TV.

aRLcat Sun 06-Sep-09 23:08:16

helpmeout, I think you have a point!

I don't watch tv and I don't generally read papers but I get the gist that following her break up, her ex has largely been landed with the children and she has sunk herself into partying her way to healing?

I understand a lot of her behaviour is lewd and crass and is many steps further than a lot of womens morals would allow.

But... it's a turn of the tables that in general, I find refreshing!

Men nearly always have the opportunity to fire up their social life, drink and be merry as an aid to post split recovery while good old mum is generally stuck home, wallowing and pained, flat out caring for the children, with barely a moment to herself, to be herself.

To a reasonable extent, good on her!

Laquitar Sun 06-Sep-09 23:08:31

Sorry that you are in this situation OP.

I don't like her either and i do think that money make diference. Unfortunetely it is true. Money don't buy you happiness but can buy you help, and time and can give you options.

If we had to choose between love and money most of us would choose the first. But if i had to choose between poor/miserable and rich/miserable i would choose the second. I guess it is easier to distract yoour self when you have money (parties, holidays) but the pain is still there (?).

Have you got family/friends?

oldraver Sun 06-Sep-09 23:16:09

I dont very often watch her as I find her so irritating. I recently saw a headline that said soemthing along th lines of

....Katie out partying again, grounds for Pete to have custody... erm well why ? woe betide that she is following the presses perception of a newly single Mum and how very dare she go out and enjoy herelf without the DC

oldraver Sun 06-Sep-09 23:17:28

sorry should say 'woe betide she ISNT following the presses perception of a newly single Mum'

triffictits Mon 07-Sep-09 00:41:41

I think that Katie would have Pete back immediately given half the chance. I dont buy her 'I'm so over him' stance.

i also think she would have pete back. shes actually very insecure i think.

but in answer to the OP.

money doesn't make a split easier.

infact... just throws in different problems.

diddl Mon 07-Sep-09 09:50:54

I think money might make it easier if it meant that you & children would be financially secure/independent without hubby.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 07-Sep-09 09:57:44

I think money would make it easier to be distracted -you can go shopping/redecorate your house top to bottom/partying/spa weekends with friends (or whatever takes your fancy) as money would be no object and you would have a nanny to look after the children.

I guess you could also pay a therapist to help you through it.

For the "average" mum in this situation, I guess you would be taking on the childcare on your own for the majority of the time, juggling finances, getting used to the logistics of being a single parent (without the luxury of a nanny to help)

serajen Mon 07-Sep-09 11:19:23

The woman spends so little time with her children, they're raised by a fleet of nannies, she's selfish and self-absorbed and seems to lack normal empathy and connection with others, I honestly can't stand her

SueMunch Mon 07-Sep-09 11:32:05

I think she is is horrendous, both inside and out.

lilysam Mon 07-Sep-09 11:39:35

I actually think she gets a bad press too.

She's 31, got dumped then gets slated for having a few nights out! Yes she dresses in next to nothing but ffs thats how she's made her money. I think she's been a very clever business woman to get where she is.

I don;t by the 'poor pete' garbage for one minute.

And there are tons of career women who use nannies, nuseries etc for childcare - so why does she get a rollicking for it? No-one moans about my friends who have kids, work full-time and go to the pub!

The millionaire bit will only make it superficialy better though...money for clothes, holidays etc but won;t help if you're hurting inside

prettyfly1 Mon 07-Sep-09 12:10:07

Yes perish the thought that she dare have help, work and go out to enjoy life on her own. She shares custody fifty fifty with pete - which is brilliant by them both and on her down time she goes out - what should she be doing? Crying in her bed; Wearing a nice black shawl and begging the press to take pity. The bloke dumped her and she has gotten on with it. How very dare she. P.S. I am a single parent. I have childcare to allow me to work - if I didnt I would be panned for being a non working single parent. All the press fury is just another example of how much successful women in this country are hated and reminds me very much of when david beckham had an affair and betrayed his whole family and posh was blamed for not publically breaking down over it. Makes me sick!!!!!

lilysam Mon 07-Sep-09 12:20:14

Amazing how PA's pop career is taking off again (supposedly) on the back of all this.......my heart bleeds for him hmm

MoreCrackThanHarlem Mon 07-Sep-09 12:24:09

I have no issue with her social life, childcare arrangement or fanny baring outfits.

I do find her cold and emotionless, though. I saw one episode where her son put his arms around her neck for a cuddle, and she pushed him away and said 'what are you doing that for?'
I just feel she lacks an emotional connection with her children.

Fluffypoms Mon 07-Sep-09 12:41:48

OR where she made youngest boy cry,
by pretending to eat his snail. and she just said "oh whatever"

nappyaddict Mon 07-Sep-09 12:46:18

See on the bits I've seen on TV with her kids I thought you could see how she would die for those kids if she had to.

Fluffypoms Mon 07-Sep-09 12:53:15

well what about moving a new man in and having your dc calling them daddy, when so far they havent been told that you are no longer with their dad.. have just told them he is away Working??

helpmeoutofthismess Mon 07-Sep-09 12:58:57

Part of me admires her for just getting on with her life and not wallowing in self pity after her husband pubicly dumped her.

And part of me thinks the way she expolits her kids is unfair, and that surely some stuff should be kept private.

As for her being cold and unemotional though- I think that's quite harsh. She must be hurting and I'm sure her public partying is a way of dealing with the pain in a similar way to others crying behind closed doors.

I think the press do give working mums a hard time. I always chose to continue with my career as its taken alot of devotion and dedication to get here, but now that I face raising my DD on my own I'm even more thankful that I will be able to support her independently. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of personally. But in saying that, if I had the money in the bank like Jordan, I'd happily spend every minute at home as a mum.

serajen Mon 07-Sep-09 13:01:09

The snail incident with her little boy made my blood run cold, she had terrified him by pretending to eat the snail and he was hysterical, not trantruming, seriously traumatised and she laughed; that is not maternal behaviour. The kids aren't even that bothered about her whens he does get home from one of her constant holidays, etc. If you were about to split from kids' dad, knowing impact this would have on them, would your first thought be a holiday for yourself in Ibiza?

MoreCrackThanHarlem Mon 07-Sep-09 13:01:28

And another bit I saw where she dragged her kids round LA browsing through all the free stuff for slebs. Totally selfish behaviour, IMO, with no regard for their needs other than basic care. Pete was just as guilty as far as I could tell .
Nappyaddict I must have missed that episode, I get entirely the opposite impression- Jordan first, children fit around what is best for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now