Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

rude bloody relatives-why do we tolerate them??

(3 Posts)
beanie35 Mon 31-Aug-09 18:46:37

I spent a couple of weeks with the inlaws (they are from/live abroad), and put up with their moodiness, tantrums, and general mardy-arse attitude. At all times I was polite, grateful and rose above it all.

Thank god Im back home, but today I visited close relatives of my own, only to have my uncle and his bride to be turn up and be totally rude (no response to mine or my husband's hello, apart from a curt nod), once again let it pass, asked about their wedding plans, etc only to have them reply briefly and then disappear into the garden (they were like this with everyone, not just my hubby and me).

Why can families be so rude?? It only takes a second to be polite. I would love to tell them all to sod off,so sick of being accomadating to others lack of social education.

Thanks for letting me rant grin

AnyFucker Mon 31-Aug-09 18:53:14

so, why don't you tell them to sod off?

it's not against the law, you know

I know it's hard, and of course they will turn it back onto you, so that you are the bad one, but you know the truth

unless they have something over you (an inheritance, debt, childcare issues etc), why do you put up with it?

mrsboogie Mon 31-Aug-09 19:48:08

aye, life's too short for putting up with relatives and their shite. Just don't bother with them. Spending two weeks with in laws is way above and beyond the call of duty IMO. That's two weeks of your life you'll never get back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now