Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

any idea on how much ex SIL is entitled to from divorce?

(7 Posts)
susia Tue 25-Aug-09 21:02:10

Hi, could someone give me an idea of how much my brother's ex would be entitled to when they divorce.

They have been married for 5 years and have two young children. During their marriage she hasn't worked and he has. He came into their marriage with quite a bit of money and owns a flat outright that he lets out. He has also paid off about 60% of their mortgage. He has a reasonably well paid job (about £30k).

If anyone has a clue please could you let me know, thanks.

drinkmoretea Tue 25-Aug-09 21:05:21

I would imagine 50%, just because she's not been employed doesn't mean she's entitled to any less, sounds like she's been a SAHM?

susia Tue 25-Aug-09 21:08:44

yes she has been looking after the children. I am asking because I am surprised it would be 50% of everything he had from before he was married even though they were only married for 5 years.

susia Tue 25-Aug-09 21:43:50

would she be entitled to 50% of what he owned before the marriage i.e his old flat?

He is assuming that she is entitled to 50% of everything he owns even what he had before his marriage.

worley Tue 25-Aug-09 21:58:13

i think he is right, unless they had a pre nup thing done?
you sound as if you dont think she should be entitiled to half?
it maybe not fair that she could take him for all that he managed to achieve before the were together but its the way it is i think?

susia Tue 25-Aug-09 22:02:01

I suppose I feel for him because she is treating him badly at the moment. Both of them have been unfaithful and I can't judge on what has gone wrong. I am surprised about the assets split though but if that is how it is then that's obviously right.

whitetulips Tue 25-Aug-09 22:12:34

WHen I went to a solicitor she said they start with assuming 50;50, then look at the individual circumstances. This can include length of marriage, assets before, earnings during, who will have children, housing needs, pensions,it is very difficult to generalise.
Most solicitors will give half an hour of free advice, it may be worth your brother seeing one.
hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now