Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My friend is leaving

(7 Posts)
OrmIrian Sat 22-Aug-09 18:33:18

My friend is leaving and going home to Liverpool. I feel bereft sad. I don't do friendship very well. I have lots of 'people I know' and they are fine but I find it hard to move on from that stage. I am great at meeting new people and can put on a party animal mask for a while but long term that isn't me. I am always convinced people find me dull. I am quite dull. And quite inward-looking. And earnest. But there are a few who see through that and think I am worth persevering with. This was one of them.

She was full of exitement and nervousness. She has aranged some job interviews and found a house just down the road from her parents. And I was telling her pleased I was for her and making encouraging noises, all the time silently yelling 'don't go!'

We will keep in touch - not that I am good at that - but tis not the same.

Second time in the last few years this has happened. Am beginning to think I smell! I think the problem is that I am attracted to slight oddballs - who don't immediately fit in, and of course after a while they move on.

Giving myself a good old shake right now and taking a deep breath. Onwards and upwards....

SwedesandTurnips Sat 22-Aug-09 18:44:08

Sorry to hear that, Orm. Be sure to tell her how much you're going to miss her.

<squeezes Orm's hand>

OrmIrian Sat 22-Aug-09 18:48:23

Thankyou swedes.

I did tell her that in my normal brisk way hmm I didn't grasp her to my ample bosom howling. Not good at that.

bluejeans Sat 22-Aug-09 18:53:39

Long distance friendships can work - my friend moved 200 miles away about 10 years ago - we catch up regularly on the phone (always scheduled in advance so we can make sure DCs are not running about and wine open), email each other most days at work (we used to work together) and usually see each other about 4 times a year, either visiting or meeting up for the odd weekend away - the visits are special times for us and now I can't really imagigine how it would be if we lived near each other and our time wasn't 'rationed'. Oh and we sometimes text each other 10 times a day blush

OrmIrian Sat 22-Aug-09 18:54:48

E-mail is good bluejeans - she is between mobile atm so I only have her e-mail when she gets online again. Maybe we'll actually talk more!

bluejeans Sat 22-Aug-09 18:56:27

forgot to say in my last post - I'm probably in closr contact now than when we lived in the same city - though possibly as no DCs then and 'virtual' contact doesn't require a babysitter!

OrmIrian Sun 23-Aug-09 10:27:13

Thanks bluejean smile

I will send her a mail today and wait for her to get back to me once she has settled in and got e-mail up and running.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now