Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

upset with dh...am I overreacting??

(16 Posts)
pinkroses Sat 28-May-05 15:52:02

Hi. Dh broke his leg last week after several drinks. I assumed he had just twisted his ankle and made him walk to where we were getting picked up. Turns out it was broken and I have been running around after him since.

Anyway, he keeps saying it is broken because I made him walk, which has really upset me. Now today we have had a huge row because he thinks he is joking, but I think he is being really mean to me. He also told our 3 year old that it was my fault!!!

I am so upset by his attitude towards me. But, do you think I am just taking it the wrong way. DO you think this is just a joke??

Soupdragon Sat 28-May-05 15:53:20

Whether he believes it is a joke or not it is clear that it upsets you so he should stop.

Louise1980 Sat 28-May-05 15:57:06

When some1 gets upset a joke has gone too far. I think Id feel like you. My ds1 does it to me and tells every1. He doesnt know any better and it really hurts.

pinkroses Sat 28-May-05 15:58:58

I am so devastated that he has made me feel so awful, and then to top it off, when I told him about it...he got annoyed like I was picking on him

charliecat Sat 28-May-05 16:00:05

I know how your feeling, a jokes not a joke if the other persons not laughing.

mytwopenceworth Sat 28-May-05 16:05:35

cant say, only he knows. but sometimes people hide behind a 'joke'. they have a particular feeling about something and may say something unpleasant or contriversial, but, if you challenge them they will say "i was only joking". its a way of getting out of it! they may not want to be challenged or argued with but they want to lay the guilt on without any responsibility for any fallout - its a form of manipulation imo.
"its all your fault you know" could mean i am in pain and you didnt believe me and im angry with you, or he could be teasing to make you feel guilty and make sure you give him the 5star treatment! or he could just be messing about.
if he says it again maybe say no it was your fault for getting drunk, or you could call it payback for the pain of childbirth?

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 16:19:57

I know what you mean mytwopenceworth, I remember that line... 'many a true word is spoken in jest.'

I would be upset Pinkroses, but am sure he probably doesn't really mean to be hurtful. Men seem to be a fairly inconsiderate bunch at times!

pinkroses Sat 28-May-05 16:21:42

I used the 'you're a lazy sh*t and I coped after the pain of having two kids' arguement today, and I've never done that before. I even called him lots of swear words, which I don't fo either. I am so upset with him...and the thing is, I really do feel guilty for making him walk with a broken ankle. I just don't know why he is using it against me.

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 16:33:41

I once made my wee sister walk with a broken ankle... she jumped off a step (a step!) when chasing me and I thought she was playing it up! I felt terrible when I realised it was really hurt.

Of course you feel bad, does he realise you feel bad you didn't believe him?? It is hardly crime of the century though, could their be underlying issues?

JoolsToo Sat 28-May-05 16:40:21

could be a joke - but tell him you don't find it funny and if he doesn't stop he'll have to fend for himself - shove everything out of his reach

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 16:43:51

lol Joolstoo... v good idea!

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 16:48:30

Sorry Pinkroses, hope you didn't think I was trying to trivialise the thread...

hope you are feeling ok.

Tissy Sat 28-May-05 17:22:12

pinkroses- I am absolutely certain that your dh broke his ankle during the fall, and not because you made him walk! I suggest you go along to the fracture clinic appointment and ask the orthopaedic surgeon his/ her opinion. That should shut him up!

pinkroses Sat 28-May-05 18:05:35

I have been a bit of a cow to him today. I just handed him a pot noodle for his dinner, usually I would cook something healthy.

I do think it may be something else making him be evil towards me. He has just brought up his best mate making a pass at me...so I'm thinking it is something to do with that.

By the looks of it, we are gonna be having a big arguement tonight. Think I'll open a bottle of wine in a minute...I'm sure it's not too early!!

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 20:11:32

I am on the wine too... oops!

Good luck with your man, I hope you get it sorted!

SenoraPostrophe Sat 28-May-05 20:16:29

I have to say if it was the other way round - if dh made me walk and my leg turned out to be broken, I would give him hell. That being the case I wouldn't get too upset if he did it to me. That's us though. Can you think of any similar incidents where you/he reacted in a similar way?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: