Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone who has a difficult relationship with their mother - Look at this.....

(7 Posts)
StirlingTheTired Tue 18-Aug-09 22:12:50

I was in the hairdressers last weekend and they had a copy of September's Psychologies magazine and there was a large section on Mothers and Daughters.

I didn't get time to read it in the hairdressers so I went out and bought it and it is really interesting.

The article has question/answer type sections with an analysis of how your relationship with your mother has shaped you.

There are sections on-

How our Mothers make us who we are

Understanding Toxic Mothers

Dealing with your Mother as an adult.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought about buying it before but it has lots of interesting interviews and articles about getting through difficult times and really good ones about starting afresh and changing your life for the better.

jenk1 Wed 19-Aug-09 20:22:10

i bought this the other day, its really good, i would recommend it to anyone who has a troubled relationship with their mother.

TheArmadillo Wed 19-Aug-09 20:24:50

sounds good - is that the current issue? If so I'll go have a look for it tomorrow.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 19-Aug-09 21:00:36

I never speak to mine and yet I would love to put her straight on a lot of things.

StirlingTheTired Thu 20-Aug-09 23:52:15

Yes Armadillo, it is the current issue, in the shops now (September).

Sharon Osborne is on the front - but dont let that put you off!!

I have found the whole magazine a really good read.

wheniwishuponastar Fri 21-Aug-09 09:17:28

ooh i might get that - thanks for the tip!

TheArmadillo Fri 21-Aug-09 17:27:09

I was really disapointed with this. The sum of their advice on 'toxic' mothers was 'tell them not to say xyz and then your relationship will be fine'.

There wasn't any good recommendations for books/websites/support groups.

Overall really disapointed. I've bought it before and liked it but felt the information wasn't as advertised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now