Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Any one split with their dh/dp? what are you financial rights etc??/

(9 Posts)
sunburntats Sun 16-Aug-09 18:57:04

Good pal is going to be splitting with her dh.
they have a mortgage 2 children bearly managing financially at the mo.

will she get any help financially?
She works full time but earns less that 15k a year.

is there a web site that can advise?
have advised she goes to CAB, but need info asap.

sunburntats Sun 16-Aug-09 19:11:10

Can any one help me?

ADifferentMe Sun 16-Aug-09 19:18:50 - it's brilliant

sunburntats Sun 16-Aug-09 19:35:33


Can i check though, this is help from the government to help you to keep the roof over your head presumably?

If her dh is unable to contribute at all to the household, will she still get this?

ADifferentMe Sun 16-Aug-09 19:40:42

I think it's for entitlement to benefits. It does ask if you're a tenant or owner so presumably covers housing benefits too.

She should also look at the CSA website.

Good luck

sunburntats Sun 16-Aug-09 19:43:50

ooh thank you SO much, this is a great help.
she is just desperately worried that she will lose the house therefore her childrens home on top of everything else that has happened

Spero Sun 16-Aug-09 20:27:08

She might be better off working less hours and getting child tax credits, or what ever they are called now. There is lots of help out there, she needs to see a specialist benefits adviser asap, Citizens Advice should be good.

It may be possible to get help with paying the mortgage interest, but I think that only kicks in after a year? I'm not really sure, hence why she needs to see an expert as things can change quite dramatically in this field.

But if she really can't manage to keep the house, she has to be realistic and face up to that otherwise go thru the stress and strain of repossession and a ruined credit rating. If they are barely managing at the moment I assume that once her partner has left and is paying rent he won't be able to help much, but still try and get him to agree to pay something or go via CSA.

Could she get a lodger? That is about £4k per year tax free.

sunburntats Sun 16-Aug-09 20:39:34

mortgage is interest only at the mo, bit disapointing that help only kicks in after a year....she could be homelss by then!!

She is in the early stages of finding out where the help is and what help she can get.
I have advised CAB.

Because she is on a low income, to reduce her hours would mke her income even poorer, but may be worth considering if she gets more help....

Its a quagmire out there.

knew that lots of women go through this all of the time, so wanted help and advice from them really, been there, done that sort of thing.

will keep bumping.
Thanks you for your kind help spero x

Spero Sun 16-Aug-09 21:50:27

I haven't done a benefits case for a while but the last one I did, my client was quite well off if she only worked 16 hours a week as she then got loads in child tax credits... it seemed a very perverse incentive, but it might make her life easier at the moment if she can work less but still earn the same (or even more!) it is definitely worth checking out.

these things can take a litle while to organise/pay out so I would suggest that she gets cracking. Plus, what is her partner doing? It may make a difference if he is still living with her.

But best advice is to see a specialist asap and be realistic; it is never worth driving yourself into a nervous breakdown trying to hang on to a house that is just unaffordable in the long term - its not just the mortgage, but maintenance/repairs etc, etc. And a forced move is probably worse for the children than for eg a planned move into rented accommodation near to their schools, friends etc, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: