Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Desperately need help with debt-getting conflicting advice

(9 Posts)
upshitcreek Fri 31-Jul-09 11:33:18

I'm a regular but have namechanged for this.

Basically my DP and I have both got individual debts from before we met plus debts we have run up whilst we've been together but are not in joint names.

On Wednesday I sought advice from an organisation called Capitalise. The advisor told me that he could only help me with debts in my name only and DP would have to have a separate case file. When I asked about how DP could pay his debts the advisor told me that DP should say that his income is the half of the Employment Support Allowance we get at a couples rate and that he would qulaify for a Debt Relief Order. My advisor drew up a repayment plan for me with the priority debts to be sorted first, eg, gas, elec and water. I have made offers of other amounts to my other creditors. My debts come to about £2.5 k in all.

DP has been to the CAB about his debts ((10,5k) who has drawn up a budget sheet with a sum of around £28 a month to be shared between ALL our creditors. This means that I will have to offer Thames Water 70pence a month for example and reduce my offer of £30 amonth to my Credit Union to around £1.20. DP's CAB advisor has also not written down any of our Priority debts either.

I feellike banging my head against a brick wall.I just don't know what to do. Trying to be seen as a couple has proved fruitless because we're not married and all the debts are in either one of our names, i.e not joint.

I have tried ringing National Debt helpline but can't get through.

Please help.

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 31-Jul-09 11:35:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

upshitcreek Fri 31-Jul-09 11:36:53

Hi, no we don't have any joint assets. How would they split our income though? We have CTC as a family and Employment and Support Allowance as a family. (We're getting it for me as I have MH issues and am currently unable to work)

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 31-Jul-09 11:47:10

I would try the Consumer Credit Counselling Service who are a charity. Their website is detailed below:-

upshitcreek Fri 31-Jul-09 11:48:40

Going to have to do something as DP is furious with me for what he sees as me just looking after my own debts. I just spoke to my advisor again and he advised DP to contact PayPlan and National Debt Helpline.

Thanks for your posts.

PatienceRequired Fri 31-Jul-09 11:55:24

Not sure if i can do links but try this website. The people on there are really friendly, non judgemental, and knowledgeable. Best of all its free.

If the link hasn't worked, its money saving expert, go on the forum, then the "debt free wannabe" board. There is a helpful sticky at the top about what info they need to help you.

It is an amazing board of people most of whom will have been in your shoes at one point...

In the meantime, dont despair, and well done for acknowledging that there is a problem, you are halfway there to solvong it!

PatienceRequired Fri 31-Jul-09 11:56:51

blush solving even! blush

Note to self, must preview post before hitting the enter key lol.

upshitcreek Fri 31-Jul-09 12:01:00

thank you

Salme101 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:16:36

From your post it sounds like you might possibly qualify for a Debt Relief Order in your own right. Water is technically not a priority debt because they can't cut you off for non-payment. Reiterate the recommendations that you contact National Debtline: 0808 808 4000 or CCCS. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: