Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

dh's memory, or rather, lack of :(

(12 Posts)
togoornot Wed 29-Jul-09 14:16:10

Message withdrawn

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 14:18:23

i do stuff like this all the time

i have a million and one things to remember and sometimes i just forget or think i will do it later

do you think it is a real "issue"?

togoornot Wed 29-Jul-09 14:23:00

Message withdrawn

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 14:23:46

ok - if you think he has real, short term memory issues then he needs to see a GP

franklymydear Wed 29-Jul-09 14:25:20

if it's a real issue he needs a brain MRI

Tamarto Wed 29-Jul-09 14:25:25

Can you not put the stairgate on your DSs door?

That's what we did so it got shut when DD went to bed, so no forgetting.

Tamarto Wed 29-Jul-09 14:26:48

I can't comment on the memory thing as it's hard to guess how severe a problem it is from one example.

togoornot Wed 29-Jul-09 16:43:04

Message withdrawn

Tamarto Wed 29-Jul-09 18:26:33

Aww, i feel for you, my DPs memory is shocking but i don't mind as he's always been like that.

I imagine though if there were other issues between us it would be something i begin to notice more, are you having any other issues?

HappyWoman Wed 29-Jul-09 18:30:21

I think it could be an issue. Is it just certain things he forgets (ie things he thinks not important)?
Does he 'forget' to lock the door at night or switch off the lights?
Does he forget to put the handbrake on his car or to put things in the fridge that need to be?

I ask because i wonder if it is just a memory thing or because he see the stairgate as important whereas dh doesnt.

ottersRus Wed 29-Jul-09 22:52:04

I have a DH who is a dozy twat has a similar sounding memory problem. He 'forgets' to lock the doors before bed, rarely locks the car, forgets to close the fridge, forgets to do anything that isn't as interesting as whatever else he's thinking about at the time really.
He once (years ago) went out in the morning and left the front door wide open whilst I was asleep upstairs in bed, because he 'forgot' to shut it - and he has never forotten to do that again because I was so angry/upset I very nearly left him.

WideAwakeMum Fri 31-Jul-09 14:09:24

My DH is just like that too. No solutions really that I can find except for checking things myself and asking him to check (which he's actually quite good at). Head in the clouds I think, possibly a bit of an attention problem for things that seem mundane. I used a scare tactic that helped for a while by telling him: 'If you leave such-and-such a door/window open when you leave if we are still asleep/in the sitting room/whatever, then a big dog/lion/dragon could come into our home annoticed and get into our child's bed and maul them' That worked for a while, made him pay attention, but not for ever.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now