Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

sterilisation!!!! can anyone give me advice on how long they had to wait and how painful was it!!!

(5 Posts)
missylea Sun 26-Jul-09 01:11:25

I have made a decision that im going to get sterilised. I have 3 beautiful dss and after each of them had very very bad pnd. I dont think my body and my mental health could cope with another child even through when i see newborn babies my heart just melts But i have to be selfish for the sake of my dss and i wouldnt be much good to them if i had another baby and just couldnt cope with pnd. Anyone in northern Ireland that could tell me an approximate waiting time and anyone who has had one is it really painful afterwards. ps i have had 3 cs so it isnt recommended that i have any more dc anyways, but they asked me at the time did i want sterilised and i was horrifed as im only 34 but then the pnd hit again with the 3rd dc and think it about time i made a decision. I went for merina coil but it is effecting my mood as well so getting it out on monday!!!! hopefully!

muggglewump Sun 26-Jul-09 01:48:06

I'm in Scotland, so I can't help with waiting times in NI, but I waited 5 months.

I'll be honest, I came round from the GA in agony, but they did keep giving me morphine injections until I could cope with the pain.

I discharged myself from the hospital at 4.30pm, they wanted me to stay overnight but as a lone parent, it wasn't possible for me, and I was wiped out for a week.

I had arranged a Supermarket delivery for that night and DD(6) was more than capable of putting it away and I'd bought plenty of food for her to help herself to. Bread, cold meats, cheese, coleslaw, potato salad, fruit and that kind of thing, plus pizzas I could just shove in the oven.

I was up and out a week later and could have been earlier if I'd needed to be.

It was worth it for me, I have no regrets but I'm single so it really is up to me to take charge of my fertility and I didnlt want it anymore.

PurpleOne Sun 26-Jul-09 03:08:47

I waited 18 months from start to finish.
Had keyhole surgery and had clips put on.
Was discharged the same day.

No lifting for 6 weeks, had a few niggles here and there.
The only thing is, I'm not sure if it's related, but my periods have got so much worse since then.

Please have a really good think about what you want to do.
I asked then DH (now ex) to have a vasectomy and he said no. We now divorced and he's had vasectomy for his new wife. I rendered my fertility useless for something exh wasn't prepared to even consider.

I got sterilised at 28, and exceptionally young too.
It's something I bitterly regret.

lilac21 Sun 26-Jul-09 03:54:40

I was sterilized aged 38, three years ago. I had an epidural at my request, took ages to wear off. I was tender that evening and the next day too. I went into work the day after the op but ideally would have waited another day. My periods haven't changed at all.

missylea Sun 26-Jul-09 09:37:40

hi mw my god i feel so sorry for you but you seemed to have coped really well. Well done you! Even though my ex is off and on at the minute i know he will take the baby and my older boys can go to their dads or as you said they are more than capable making food for themselves.
Hi purpleone, I have thought and thought about it and sometimes i think i would want a little girl but as i said dont think my mind and body could cope. Yes you where very young to have it done and especially if you deliveries where natural ones then i would probably reconsidered. but my womb is very thin and dr told me he wouldnt rule out baby no 4 but i would have to wait at least 2 years and by that stage i will be 37, so would i want to start all over again especially when my eldest will be 14 then!
thanks for your replies they are much appreciated! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now