Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Recommendation for a couple counsellor please?

(11 Posts)
wanttobehappier Mon 20-Jul-09 12:59:54

First can anyone tell me if they think I have posted on wrong board.

I was hoping someone might have a receommendation for a counsellor. DH and I have lots of problems and we really are neary at the end of the road. We desperately need to see a counsellor (both agreed) as soon as we can. Relate has shut its North London office so basically there is no coverage witin an hours drive of where we are. I called one centre (Tavistock?) but they wont see us until September! Can anyone recommend a service somewhere in North London, Central London or Hertfordshire for couples counselling - ideally one they have some knowledge of - I seem to have drawn a blank - I don't just want to pick someone out of the yellow pages that I know nothing about.

I hope someone can help. Thank you

orangina Mon 20-Jul-09 15:22:51

I can recommend someone in London W8/W11 if that helps. She is excellent. CAT me if you are interested... or would you post your email address?

wanttobehappier Mon 20-Jul-09 20:29:11

Unfortunately this is too far for us - would take us nearly 2 hours to get there but thank you very much.

orangina Mon 20-Jul-09 20:52:27

I have a cousin who sees someone (on a general basis, I don't know whether he/she deals with couples work) in North London. I know she rates this person (I don't even know whether they are a man or a woman).... would that be too tenuous a connection? Am happy to find out more for you if it would help? Personally, I found the help I got was totally invaluable. Not a quick fix, but it has shed light on a lot of issues (in a good way...).

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Jul-09 06:53:39

If you look at the www.bacp.co.uk website, you can find counsellors there, by post code, some of whom will do couples work.

There's also London Marriage Guidance, which is a relate-style organisation.

verysadtoday Tue 21-Jul-09 10:07:22

I would also be interested in this. I can't find any information about London Marriage Guidance - do you have any contact details please?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Jul-09 19:57:04

<digs>

Ah, right, they were taken over in 2005. Here.

verysadtoday Wed 22-Jul-09 10:44:15

Thank you for finding out this information.

I tried them at the beginning of the week but they are not seeing anyone til September (in August most of their therapists are away) which is a bit too long for us - they sound good though.

cestlavielife Wed 22-Jul-09 12:21:50

institute of family therapy
www.instituteoffamilytherapy.org.uk/

stressed2007 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:43:45

bumping this..Orangina I have CAT you - thanks

AccioPinotGrigio Tue 28-Jul-09 12:45:06

I had a great experience with the Couples COunselling Practice. They are based in NW6 and NW11. The lady my dp and I sent to see was excellent. I think if you google "Couple Counselling Practice" You will find her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now