Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Top tip for surviving eight months of domestic bliss together

(21 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 16:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuluMaman Sat 18-Jul-09 16:40:19

oh yes, it will be a blast

your days will fly by in a lovely blur of a sweet toddler playing quietly at your feet whilst you feed your newborn who never cries, whilst your DP hand feeds you lovely morsels of food, there will be no hormonal shrieking or crying, you won't be in your dressing gown at 4 in the afternoon

grin

LuluMaman Sat 18-Jul-09 16:41:04

you should buy matching Boden PJs and dressing gowns, so you can be blissful and stylish !

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 16:43:24

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 16:44:54

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 16:54:13

It will be lovely but I would have a chat with your DH to talk about who is going to do what. You can't be treading on his toes but you have to pull your weight too.

Good luck with the new baby. grin

LuluMaman Sat 18-Jul-09 17:00:17

obviously DP will be happy to wear a little pink pinny, and do all the housework, whilst you lay on the sofa, feeding the new arrival, and eating bon bons, whilst observing DS's heuristic play.

seriously, i thikn a good thing to do would be to have a chat with DP about how things will cahnge, obvisouly, she is the SAHM, but you are both going to be at home, and it might be good to discuss things like division of labour, obviously not for the day you get out of hospital, but for the later weeks and months

obviously DP will want time with the new baby and it will be a great time for you to spend time with DS too

she might have a rtouine with DS already. although when the shcools break up, toddler groups don't run, so you'll have a few weeks at home .. but nice to go and do walks and see people and be less routine based

i think a lot of it is wait and see. obviously mode of delivery is going to have an impact on how you are post birth

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 17:28:37

Ooops, I put DH, force of habit. DP of course.

When is baby due?

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 18:35:44

LuluMaman Sat 18-Jul-09 18:49:09

what will be the deciding factor re c.s or VBAC?

i thikn the first 6 weeks, especially if you are establishing breastfeeding , is going to be you centred on the new baby.

there will be less time to discuss things, there will be much hissing and 'let's talk about this later, darling " grin

we all muddle through somehow

best to try and work out how things will go in an ideal world and then adapt as you go on

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 22:57:40

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 18-Jul-09 23:01:08

How is your DP feeling about you being under her feet for the next 8 months?

Do you anticipate it to be difficult?

Best, if you haven't, to talk about it now and express any of your concerns.

(Top tip - expecting to be lying on sofa and watching sport probably not going to go down well)

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 18-Jul-09 23:02:56

...... and I now have this very vivid image of you in a chair, feet up, with a string vest on asking for more cups of tea, a la Jim Royal)

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 23:21:28

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 18-Jul-09 23:29:46

Does your DP come on MN? I've often wondered!

On the face of it, being at home, together, with your two children should be lovely. But I can see that it might not work out that way, unless you're both sharing the household responsibilities.

So I suppose the way to think about this is as if you were a bloke (sorry!). But I mean that you share the household chores with your DP as a basic responsibility.

I would also guess that bonding with your second child will be pretty important. You, presumably, will be 'ahead' given that you have given birth, but as DP will be looking after the baby, she needs time to develop her own relationship with him/her. Therefore it would, presumably, be good for you to spend time with DS alone, and let DP spend time with the baby.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 18-Jul-09 23:31:03

Oh, and I think that regardless of new baby, you should also try and plan in time for you to be together. Do you have a good/reliable/local babysitter?

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 23:46:10

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 18-Jul-09 23:50:20

In that case, ask DP if there is anything that she would like you to do, rather than just expecting to see things. That will also stop her stewing on something, if she's just hoping that you'll do it.

Will you be able to express, so that DP can feed the baby? (I was always crap at it, so know it's not always possible.)

God - I'm so envious at the idea of being off work for 8 months!

LeninGrad Sat 18-Jul-09 23:59:24

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 19-Jul-09 00:02:07

What is DP expecting of you during your maternity leave? I assume that she is aware of the various sporting fixtures that are coming up?!

LeninGrad Sun 19-Jul-09 00:10:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now